IGNORED

Bit-Perfect UPnP/DLNA Renderer

9 hours ago, peter73 said:

I am currently using and old WDTV Live media player for this purpose (and it even has a shared USB HDD attached to it as a bonus) but it only supports 16/48 natively. On my laptop I have Foobar.

The Chromecast Audio has optical output & can be used as a hi-res (up to 24/96kHz) bit perfect UPnP/DLNA renderer if you install the BubbleUPnP Server helper application on your laptop & configure it to create a DLNA renderer for the CCA:

https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/docs/config_media_renderers.html

spacer.png

Use & configure the foo_out_upnp plugin in foobar2000 to get the Chromecast Audio to access foobar2000's bit perfect audio output as a continuous FLAC stream via UPnP. Has the added benefit of providing a workaround for the CCA's lack of gapless playback support.

If you are UK based, refurbished Chromecast Audios are currently available from mymemory for £27.99 including delivery (required toslink to mini toslink 3.5mm optical cable not included):

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/google-chromecast-audio-refurbished-ffp.html

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

15 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Use & configure the foo_out_upnp plugin in foobar2000 to get the Chromecast Audio to access foobar2000's bit perfect audio output as a continuous FLAC stream via UPnP. Has the added benefit of providing a workaround for the CCA's lack of gapless playback support.

1 hour ago, LawrenceT said:

One issue with chromecast audio is doesn’t support gapless playback.

As I already mentioned in my last post, given that the OP is already using the foobar2000 player software on the laptop, which does support gapless playback, the foo_out_upnp plugin bit perfectly provides foobar2000's (gapless support already taken care of) audio output as a continuous network audio stream via UPnP, ie, not the individual audio file tracks in foobar2000"s playlist..

So lack of gapless playback support of the connected UPnP/DLNA renderer is irrelevant as it won't be receiving the individual audio file tracks.

BTW, Bluesound's devices use a private proprietary mechanism for network streaming and don't support industry standard UPnP/DLNA streaming - so cannot be used as UPnP/DLNA renderers (the title of this thread).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox