IGNORED

The new Sonore opticalModule Deluxe

Hello hello. Will appreciate if someone can point me to the right info... I'm about to get the OpticalRendu. SGC has a bundle that with a Fiber Media Converter. Does it make sense for me to get the OpticalModule instead of the FMC? I'm assuming the SQ is better with OpticalModule?

My understanding is:

Option 1 = Switch with optical > direct to OpticalRendu > DAC

Option 2 = Switch with cable > FMC > OpticalRendu > DAC

Option 3 = Switch with cable > OpticalModule > OpticalRendu > DAC

Is (3) the best for SQ? Or no big difference?

And (2) is better than (1)?

(I'm a little delirious now:/ after reading dozens of pages from forum discussions. Also viewed almost all of SMC's lovely videos... but can't seem to find the right answer for this question.)

Thanks!

P.S. Still building my system. OpticalRendu + Holo May DAC + Preamp? + Tube Monoblocks + Focal Sopra

Roon Rock (Intel i5) > HQPlayer (Win11 Intel i9-12900, 32Gb DDR5 6000MHz, 360mm AIO, RTX3080TI 12Gb) >

WiFi > Sonore opticalRendu > USB >Holo Audio May >

Luxman C-900u > Luxman M-900u > Focal Sopra 2💙💛

14 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

The oM (original) sounds better to me than a TP-link FMC, and a 10Gtek FMC I was given when I bought the demo oR is better than the TP-link. Power to the oM is important. But if I'm correct, the oM deluxe is sold out - thinking about adding a third for my office setup which is 10/100 only. 

Thanks! Reassuring that the FMCs can be plugged in many places. You're right about the OM... I missed the Sold Out sign. I'll proceed with the bundle FMC first... get the OM later when it's available... and re-cycle the bundled generic FMC somewhere else.

But I thought I read elsewhere too from Sonore/SGC folks that adding fibre upstream (dirty side) doesn't help much.

Roon Rock (Intel i5) > HQPlayer (Win11 Intel i9-12900, 32Gb DDR5 6000MHz, 360mm AIO, RTX3080TI 12Gb) >

18 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

You forgot option 4: Switch with fiber ($99 Mikrotik) > opticalModule > EtherRegen in B>A > fiber to > opticalRendu

@JohnSwenson

Cool. Looks like a double switch + triple fibre solution? 

Is there a trade-off between more moats vs. more devices creating new interference? 

Both OM+ and ER are out of stock now. Just realised too that with all the LPS to support them, the total cost will creep towards that of the Signature Rendu SE. 

• 2 weeks later...