IGNORED

The problems with stereo recordings

kirkmc

Hi Kirk,

To me it occurs that you never considered that this can (wrong: it will) be caused by your system ?

No need to listen to John D. et al, because he got his experience from explicitly tweaking the data - think DSP like (although this never is his goal - it just happens along with what he does). Also, he explains it by terms of distortion, while I would never do that because I don't know which "setting" is the truth (John does not know that either, although I'm sure he hopes he knows that - haha).

If we leave out the tweaking/changing of the data, I could show you the very same wild changes. They work for width and indeed for depth just the same and if you tempt me a little, also for height. All what is required is changing the behavior of the audio playing PC somewhat. Or even better: change the USB cable to the USB connected DAC. People with our Lush^2 cable will readily confirm this, because it is what this configurable USB cable was made for.

Might you own one, I could tell you the configuration for hardly any stereo image at all. Or super hard panned (which indeed is the least realistic, unless we talk Beatles ;-).

The truth will be the relative realistic distance between artists/instruments. So if you know that, be it for the Dead or LZ, you could tune your system for that distance, and you will undoubtedly see that in that "setting" the remainder starts to fit nicely just the same (kick drum sounds best, snare has the realistic punch, etc. etc.). Partly this will be a mind thing because the explicit unrealistic part was removed (you won't be annoyed). Obviously next up will be the next important now (for your mind) audible issue. 

Nice hobby it is !

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

7 hours ago, bluesman said:

One dead giveaway to poor recording technique is clear sourcing of the low piano keys from one side and the highs from the other, since pianos are almost always sitting with the keyboard perpendicular to the audience's line of sight.  Whether it's a grand or a console of some kind, the low strings and the high strings are both at the same position relative to the sides of the sonic image.

that

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)