IGNORED

What has produced the greatest sound improvement for you?

7 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

What single thing or things stands out that you would definitely recommend to others?

--Dedicated AC power line.

--Room treatments.

--Dual subs.

Other elements do/did improve sound quality for sure, but the items above were very big gains, and on this forum, most probably already have a system "dialed-in."

I think the uninterrupted "home-run" from the panel to the audio area would be a benefit to anyone. And perhaps clean power supplies should be included to make a generic statement: improve power.

I feel strongly others would also benefit from room treatment/management, but if you have a less than optimum space, it is worth serious consideration.

My room is oddly shaped, with a low ceiling. When I brought speakers home to try I was floored by how much worse they sounded  than in the shop. Who stole my bass?

So, I read around various product sites and tutorials on room treatments and sound management, and incrementally added things, listened, and added things. 

I am fortunate that I can design and build things myself, when desired, so it allows a lot of freedom in customization. 

For some inexplicable reason, Sweetie has let me run absolutely wild building the system and the room. Makes no sense at all.

1E03C3FB-9132-46C7-86EF-EA4A94E219DF.jpeg

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

44 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

sure do look like Revel salon 2 which I have listened to for many many hours).

...these are actually the Revel Studio2s. I like them a lot and as I have tweaked things, they have always been up to the challenge.

And one would think they have ample bass, but in this room, the low frequency waves run wild without management. Now, I feel they are able to deliver intellectual *and* emotional music.

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ron Ippolito said:

Nobody mentioned Chord M Scaler.  Since I have a Chord DAC, can anyone who has one please explain why you didn't put it on your list?

Ron, in your case, adding the MScaler to the Qutest, IMO, would be a real boost. It certainly was for me.

In my case, about a year ago I decided to try streaming and to expand my digital footprint.

I built up a system with an RPi 3+, WD NAS drive, with a Shanti PS. This driven through my Luxman D-05 SACD machine DAC. The sound was very good. Smooth. 

With proof of concept "proved" I decided to expand the system. In that regard, the MScaler was not as monumental as other upgrades.

That is why you didn't see the MScaler on my short list. Not that it wasn't a significant and welcome contributor; rather, that other things had more impact, given the more "entry-level" proof of concept mode I was in. 

N.B. And no offense intended to the great Pi peeps out there. It is an amazing, versatile option and it really was my "gateway drug." I would recommend it to anyone if it fits your sensibilities, budget, etc. I was amazed I could get where I did with that system. 

• 8 months later...

@Mike48that is a very nice looking room, even low-profile ceiling treatments. Maybe something on the door too?Sweet. It looks like it's below grade, like my room, which is also well treated.

Like you, I found some reflective treatments mixed with adsorption on the front wall were preferable. I tried with and without, and preferred the more "mixing of sound" approach. It sounded a bit dead with only "trapping" up front.

I also added a few very good replica faux plants, which create additional high-end mixing...kind  of an organic fractal reflector.

Really like the room and I bet it sounds good too. Thanks for the pics...