IGNORED

I have a Pioneer drive with Pure Read 3+

Did you find answer?

I looked into this topic and found those documents

https://jpn.pioneer/ja/pcperipherals/dvdrrw/story/index_17.html
https://jpn.pioneer/ja/pcperipherals/dvdrrw/story/index_27.php

• Pure Read: On CD ripping, when read error happens, change one read parameter from the parameter candidate (rotation speed, pickup parameters etc) and retry read. Drive forget Pure Read settings on power cycle: Need to run Drive Utility app every time drive power is plugged.
  • Pure Read+: Drive remembers Pure Read settings. Now not necessary to run Drive Utility on every drive power cycle. + of subsequent versions have the same meaning.
  • Pure Read 2+: Added new read parameter to some specific disc conditions.
  • Pure Read 3+: Introduces Pure Read on realtime CD playback , Real Time Pure Read.
  • Pure Read 4+: When read error happens, change 2 or more parameters and retry.

Pure Read settings:

• Standard Mode: On CD ripping, when C2 error happens, interpolate sample gap and read continues.
  • Master Mode: On CD ripping, When read error happens, change read parameter and retry (Pure Read). if several retry failed, interpolate sample gap and read continues.
  • Perfect Mode: Same as “Master Mode” but when several retry failed, reports read error to OS and stop ripping.
  • Real Time Pure Read: When app plays CD on realtime, drive detect it and enable realtime flavor of Pure Read (retry read and when deadline missed, interpolate the gap).

On 7/2/2020 at 4:45 AM, pionphil said:

Do you have to use a special software to take advantage of Pure Read function?

Yes, It is necessary to run Drive Utility once to configure the drive settings to Master Mode or Perfect Mode to enable Pure Read.

On 7/2/2020 at 4:45 AM, pionphil said:

Does Pure Read interfere with software like EAC that does its own approach to ripping? (multi-reading?)

I'm not sure about it

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, pionphil said:

I was under the impression that PureRead only works on Windows, but it seems like it will work on Mac as well?

It seems there is a product for Mac, such as BDR-XS07JM. I have it and it works on Windows PC as well, with BD Drive Utility v 1.2.0.4

PureRead functionality works on the micro processor on the drive, so it is basically OS / ripping app independent. BD Drive Utility is needed to change / view current settings of the drive firmware.  “+ model” has the non-volatile memory on the drive to remember the setting.

Developer of PlayPcmWin

I don't use EAC to rip CDs so I don't know.

Ripped 34 cds with perfect mode so far and after ripping I opened BD drive utility and saw the drive error counter is zero. It seems there is no trace of C2 error interpolation seen on ripped data. This is my understanding : basically it works as a normal CD drive and there is no difference unless margarine is spread on the CD surface

Developer of PlayPcmWin

On 9/16/2020 at 6:33 PM, pionphil said:

When I put a CD in my Pioneer drive, Cyberlink recognizes it but not EAC. How could I make EAC recognize it?

I tested EAC and it recognized my drive. It seems EAC got this album artwork from Amazon.

eac1.thumb.png.0f52038ae0726d59628b2f8b5dcd0085.png

On 9/18/2020 at 3:50 AM, pionphil said:

What software do you use to rip CDs?

I use MediaGo but it was discontinued, so it is not recommended...

21 hours ago, pionphil said:

Does it find and attach the album artwork to the ripped music files ok?

Your ripping app will get album artwork from the internet and embed it to the music files.

9 hours ago, pionphil said:

How should cue sheet 形式 be translated? I'm not sure what cue sheet is and why that's important.

"Cue sheet format". It is some special file extracted from CD that contains INDEX 0 info (hidden pause track between tracks) and with cue sheet file, music player app can behave exactly the same manner as a CD player.

My opinion is it is not important but some people including the author above consider it as must have feature.

Developer of PlayPcmWin

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 2:38 AM, pionphil said:

I read this written in 2013: 最近のPioneerドライブはダメージディスクの読みが元々弱いので、Pure Read を使ってもたいしたことはないようです。(These days, Pioneer drives are weak at reading damaged discs in the first place, so using Pure Read is not something that great as it may be thought to be.)  

I've read similar article circa 2013. Then there was an article somewhere, the disc drive development team purchased many damaged `test discs' from second hand CD shops and improved their drive readability. So it seems they noticed it. I'm not sure but probably PureRead4+ improvement items reflect this improvement.

On 9/27/2020 at 2:38 AM, pionphil said:

Do you also use a Pioneer drive? If so, what are your experiences in effectiveness of Pure Read in reducing noise? (雑音?)

I tried ripping with Pure Read turned on Master Mode, and I didn't notice much difference.

There is no difference on clean disc. I'm not expert about optical pickup unit but in order to test it, several damaged discs of different damage pattern are needed? I don't encounter any read error event so far, so I don't know.

Developer of PlayPcmWin