IGNORED

iTunes problem

rom661

OK, somehow I have just never understood how iTunes manages files. If someone can make a lightbulb come on for me I would vastly appreciate it.

A week or so ago, just as I booted up my Mac mini my power conditioner went off. Still don't know why it did but it reset after a minute or so. When I tried to bring up the mini it couldn't see the hard drive. I booted it off the disk, figured out I was going to have to reload so did a diagnostics, reformatted and loaded the OS. I use a SSD and an external drive for music connected via Firewire. I told iTunes where my music was. It would try to play it but tell me it couldn't find the file. I think I told it to add to iTunes or something to that effect. It worked, sort of.

Now I have two copies of virtually every song. The first one has a question mark beside it, the second doesn't. The second will play, the first gives me an error message saying the file can't be found. When I manually pointed it at the song on the external drive it asked if I wanted to use that to find the rest. I said yes and it did. Now I still have two copies of everything. I know you can find duplicates but is there a way to get rid of them? And, more importantly what did I do wrong?

Chris, this is the kind of thing that I think would be a natural for the FAQ/trouble shooting section of the site. I know a lot of customers are confused by the iTunes approach to this, as opposed to PC.

If anyone has the patience to take this (me) on, thanks.

Rick

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII