IGNORED

Folder Structure

On 6/21/2020 at 12:25 AM, hopkins said:

Or you can think about it like having a bookshelf

Maybe MinimServer could be the right choice.

In the attached screenshot you can see how my library is organized.
I started with JRiver, then went with Audirvana. But I realized that the library browsing was too constrained by predetermined research paths. Then I tried MinimServer with its “intelligent browsing” .... you can start from any of the defined criteria/tags and all the others will be available to continue the search ... simply perfect!
Have a look here https://minimserver.com

You need to have:

your library on a nas

MinimServer installed on the same nas

an upnp network player on the same nas network (could be a raspberry with Volumio/moOde/GentooPlayer to start)
a control point on your smartphone/tablet, must be on the same network, WiFi connected (Bubbleupnp, Kazoo, Linn, Lumïn app)
then a usb attached dac connected to your system

FE2C7D39-FB20-4DA1-9AD6-4EACB31C63E5.png

Stefano

My audio system

The study refers to the management of documents, the management of music, as well as photographs, I think it is very different.
But it is above all classical music that benefits from tag management.
Classical music is decidedly complex, composers from different periods, compositions that can be differentiated between concerts, sonatas, symphonies, operas, ..., the same composition performed by different conductors, in different years, by different orchestras, the presence of different soloists or singers.
Not to mention the fact that unfortunately there is no standard for naming composers' works, this imposes the need to create one's own standard in order to easily identify the work.
It seems clear to me that in the face of so many variables it is impossible to organize music by folders effectively.
Of course, inserting tags in music tracks is an activity that takes a long time, but once this work is done, the search and browsing possibilities become enormously wider than in a hierarchical organization, by folders.
This obviously does not exclude a mixed organization, the folders can identify the composer and the name of the album, but this mainly serves to have a "physically" ordered archive, the tags instead allow searching in detail.
My "physical" (by folders) archive is so organized
- Composer
--- Album
The tags I use are
Composer, Album, Track, Work, Period (Classic, Romantic, ...), Style (concert, symphony, opera, ...), Artists, Soloists, Instruments, Conductor, Orchestra, Year of recording, Year of publication (mainly used for remastering publications)
To standardize the name of the Works I used the catalogs of the most important composers (BWV for JS Bach, Köchel for Mozart, Kinsky / Halm for Beethoven, Ryom for Vivaldi, etc ...).

Stefano

My audio system