IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

I just ordered the clock from the Chinese webshop for the etherregen. At least worth trying, for so little money.

Now I am trying to buy some cable, to be precise Belden 4731R since it's had very nice specs especially at 10 MHz. But I can only find 305m reels for sale.😔.

How hard can it be to buy 1m or even 0.5m would be enough...

Yes that would be a good second option, saw that one also, it was just the specs that made me look for the 4731, mainly because atanuation is even lower with that one at 10MHz.

But on the other hand you are pointing out another thing I didn't consider before, it might just be a bit stiff 😬.

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Hmmm perhaps, but this one had already several lesser specs.

(Double instead of triple shielded. Again lesser loss in cable length. Etc.)

I'll go for the 4794r.

Or still the 4731 if I can find it in short lengths. But I guess it's just too new.

• 1 month later...

A few weeks ago my clock arrived, since last Saturday is finally installed in my system ( only at the ER).

Connected with a 30cm long Sommer vector SC 0.8/3.7 cable with compliant Neutrik 75ohm BNC connectors.

Unfortunately due to a cold, my ears aren't working optimal at the moment. And for now the changes aren't really spectacular (at least not to my expectations after reading here 😉).

At the moment I can't name what's making it different. The funny thing is, when I switch back to the situation without, it sounds instantly there's missing something.

IMG_20201206_144355.jpg

3 hours ago, MartinT said:

The double-whammy effect of using my master clock for both EtherREGEN and Mutec reclockers in my system is very evident, not subtle.

Yeah that's why. I was a bit surprised. So far.

(Although a don't have, or won't use a mutec reclocker, since I don't have any purpose for it).

I will try in the near future.

The clock cable I used will be sufficient and is good quality, maybe I will try other ones In the future.

I'm planning on building a LPS  with ultra capacitors for the ER.

And a proper star-quad+shielded DC cable for the ER.

I have a proper smps 12 v DC  which I will try next week on the clock.

Vibration control is done here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just now I tried a very short experiment, with a  for this experiment put together battery power supply 12.7V DC.

It was short because even while I paired 2x 9v battery together parallel and two big 1.5v 's in series behind it, it dropped in voltage quickly think about 2-3 songs before it went below 10.7 V that's where I stopped. since stable 12V is supposed to be best. I didn't want to push it.

However, indeed straight away noticeable more details. PRaT even enhanced in a way I didn't think was possible here.

So yes I agree on the better power supply on the clock.

Last days I have been reading through some older topics also. It makes more sense to me now. Since the BNC is at the clean b -side where you just don't want any cheap smps with all its noise etc. interfering with the clean signal.

For now aiming on a lps1.2 from uptone, I will order one in the nearby future (from vortexbox in the U.K.) or perhaps build one.

Since I have already got plans to build a proper ultra caps LPS at 10V to power the ER. Would be nicest if I can put it all together in one housing since I just hate all the loose small equipment pieces, and now there just getting more 😂.

IMG_20201224_203858.jpg

8 hours ago, AfterDark. said:

I think to remember I read something in this topic before. That the js-2 shares a ground rail on both DC outputs, which will end up using it with both ER and the clock in bypassing the moat of the ER since the clock domain is on the b-side, and the a-side will be connected to  eachother in the js-2?

• 2 months later...

It's just really nice that you guys found the time to write and publish this clock paper.

To me personally it makes sense why the Chinese bg7 clock didn't have much benefits over the build in clock, (if any improvement).

At least not what I expected of it after the many people trying it and mentioning it was a great upgrade. ( For the 100bucks worth the experiment though)

At this time I feel like I will in time, when I have got some time, try what John mentioned somewhere, to pick up the sine wave signal straight from the clock and connect that to the BNC. And add this filter which is mentioned.