IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server with custom made parts

13 hours ago, Hauser said:

Hi Peter,

I looked at this using aluminium as the top clamp and weight was much closer to the limit.  Seeing the heatsinks in the Taiko, they are definitely heavier than 600g.  For this area to be covered, exceeding the weight limit with heatsinks is inevitable because copper does a much better job at collecting/transferring heat.  The answer may be in properly supporting the underside of the board directly under the socket.

Martin.

Hi Martin!

No, the answer is to mount the board horizontally. Or alternatively, DON'T YOU DARE LIFTING THE BOARD VERTICALLY 🙂

Vertical stress (horizontal position) onto the CPU has no bad impact as the mounting mechanism already applies excessive force. Applying lateral force (vertical position) onto the CPU will be catastrophic.

So, copper bricks might not be harmful at all, even outside of specs, but the end user must be *EXTREMELY* cautious not to lift the machine in vertical position. Not even during transport, something that of course is bad design specifications.

To be in line with specs, the user must stress test the machine against failure. If it fails, then he should not have done this 🙂

Anyway, I think that copper bricks might not be that harmful. Power dissipation in our case is not that monstrous as the TDP of the CPUS is relatively low.

I am waiting for the RAM chips to begin.

Design & Manufacture of High Fidelity Audio Equipment
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello from Athens, Greece.

I have been reading your comments with utmost interest.

In brief, a depth of 1-2 mm of the grooves is absolutely insufficient.

Due to the incompatibility of current RAM chips I have, I cannot use them for powering up the server board with the Intel Xeon CPUs. As soon as I am able to power up, I can measure the current drawn through these specific CPUs and IMHO this is one of the most important aspects that, among others, affect the calculations and the design of the chassis.

I am waiting to receive the compatible RDIMMs from Germany and next step is the fine tuning of the server board. Tuning has great impact on power consumption. Each and every aspect is interconnected to the other. So, I think we need to step aside from everything until I have the exact power figures handy and then make the first move.

As a preliminary assumption, I am expecting not to be able to avoid using the German Junior / Fischer heat sinks. Whenever I'm thinking of heat sinks my mind always go to Junior/Fischer.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:36 PM, Ben-M said:

I'm not trying to say I'm the authority on this, but I have used this Streacom FC10 chassis in 4 different builds and it's always delivered effective cooling results. 

As you can see from the internal picture, there is 0% milling into the side panel to improve conduction or heat transfer from heatsink to heat pipes:

fc10-ht4-045-225-s.jpg

The heat pipes have been flattened where they interface with the side panel, riser, and CPU block.

I think milling grooves is cool, but from my experience so far, it seems unnecessary in order to deliver cooling up to 95W TDP.

And since it seems our target CPU's TDP is beyond that, I don't think milling heat pipe grooves into the side panel is the guaranteed approach to gain more heat dissipation capacity. Different material or thicker material is needed. 

It's interesting hashing out ideas while we wait for his real world results, but as Peter just mentioned, no point in letting the cart get ahead of the horse just yet.  

Yes! Flat cooper heat pipes is an interesting solution that could be beneficial in the way that we can avoid digging groves onto the lateral heatsinks.

Big heat pipes are required for sure. Taiko Audio has used copper heat sink for both CPUs. Aluminum heat sink requires increased dissipation area between copper and aluminum structure.

Let's wait for a couple of days more.

The RAM chips are on their way.@LTG2010, thank you for your willingness to help. I think the ones supplied are already checked that they are fully functional.

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Tatomek7 said:

Next week I hope I will get some information on my order of RAM I'm waiting for months, so I can send you my 2 x 8GB spare ones and for sure, its working as I already powered my Asus C621 e Sage mobo.

Hello again!

Most likely, my friend in Germany is in the same state like you. He has been waiting for the RAM chips for quite some time now. He has sent me the board & the CPUS along with a pair of DDR4 DIMMs but they are not RDIMMs and they do not work. It seems that this MoBo requires only RDIMM chips to work. There is no need to worry for all this unwanted situation, he will send me the chips immediately after they are in his hands. But this may take quite long. I will call him now and will ask him about the estimated date of delivery, if this is scheduled months from now, then I will be looking for your help. Stay tuned. Thanx, Peter