IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server with custom made parts

11 minutes ago, Peter Avgeris said:

The basic idea is to start from the already HDPlex H5 chassis, which I consider the best currently in the market and be able to accommodate cooling blocks and accessories for some 'strange' motherboards like dual Xeon machines.

I am very happy for this clarification. And I absolutely agree. The cooling is the best of my audio PCs built so far. 👍

The project goal is to design a heat sink for the LGA3647 socket!

Incidentally, I'm not a fan of a dual CPU at all. The Taiko Extreme, as beautiful and powerful as it is, cannot run EC modulators from the HQPlayer. This would require a clock frequency of 4GHz. The number of cores is of minor importance.

But I would be interested in a powerful Intel® Xeon® Silver processor. It would be enough for me to have a suitable heat sink based on the standard HDPLEX H5. In my case, I would attach the heat pipes for ONE CPU to both side walls. There are many ways to Rome. 😉

Agreement on a heat sink as an accessory for many specifications (single and dual CPU) would be the key.

35 minutes ago, jabbr said:

The 621 is a fine architecture and is well tested and I have one. My prior workstation. It simply wasn’t capable of doing the math necessary to run the best upsampling algorithms.

I thought that AVX512 was better than AVX2 and asked Miska about your advice. That is the answer:

There was my mistake in thinking. The EC modulators can use AVX512 but it leads to clock throttling. The performance is similar to the i9-9900K that I use. But with filters, AVX512 can give a better result.

With which CPU, which mainboard and which HQPlayer settings did you test 621 and what were the limits?

51 minutes ago, jabbr said:

AVX512: sure its great and I got the W-2245 so I would have that but unfortunately it clamps the clock rate to base

Thank you for this honest assessment. It saves me from an expensive bad buy. The W-2245 has the smaller socket: FCLGA2066 and a very low temperature limit: 59 °C.

Apart from the utopian price, I have only found the Gold Processor 6250 with the socket FCLGA3647 and 3.90GHz to use HQPlayer with the EC modulators. That remains a utopia for now. 😆