IGNORED

You Know You Really Have Something When Your Stereo....?

The major thing for me is that the speakers become completely, acoustically invisible ... of course this always happens to some degree, with decent setups, when you are in the "right spot". But this can go "all the way" - the best description is that if one were to wear a blindfold, and be allowed to wander all over the room, even to within inches from directly in the front of one of the speakers ... you would never be able to point to the drivers, and say, that's where the sound is coming from, right there!

My first high performing rig, 35 years ago, did this, completely out of blue - and blew me away when it happened! The "miracle" evaporated after a fairly short time, but could be repeated whenever I felt in the mood - hence the next decades were spent trying to get a handle on this, 🤪.

Evolving a system is the steady working towards a 'cleanness' of reproduction which allows the mind to play this trick on itself - along with being invisible all the other good things happen, especially a sense of complete immersion in the soundscape.

Current active speakers are on their way - sound stage is completely "out of the box", but if you get close to them, it's still obvious they are what's producing the sound. The goal is to see if they can be pushed to perform the disappearing act, also ...

9 hours ago, Digi&Analog Fan said:

Thanks Kal.

SOUNDS LAST LONGER : Things like struck triangles go on for seconds longer as their decay hovers in the air before disappearing. 

END OF TRACKS:  Think you know  the last note on the fade of favorite much played tracks? There are "more" notes before it totally fades into the between track silences. Wow!

Over the years I've noticed a common distortion problem with digital setups - that they simply discard the low level detail; in terms of transparency, they may as well have been playing 8 bit encoded recordings. I'm not quite sure what's actually going on the circuitry that makes this happen - if one knows a recording well, this can make for a quite disturbing listening experience, 🙂.

Ohh, another sign ... that you can play a recording that audiophiles are unanimous about as being a "bad recording" - and it's pretty bloody marvellous! Just gave Adele 21 a spin yesterday on the new rig, and after a scare because a tweak was not in order, it scored a tick.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Perhaps you never heard Neil Diamond's 'Hot August Night" via a logic steered SQ Quadrophonic System ?:)

If ever there was an album that didn't need multi-channel fiddling to deliver tremendous listening, this is it ... 🙁