IGNORED

Would These 3 Vintage "Best" Speakers Still Be Contenders Today?

Walsh Ohm-

They were amazing for their day, especially in not sounding like a "box". Didn't have the greatest bass.  I don't think they'd be considered better than many speakers today. 

BTW, the technology is still being made: https://ohmspeaker.com/ and supposedly has improved. If you live in the US you can try them out. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 5/24/2020 at 4:34 AM, davide256 said:

KEF bookshelf speakers from the 80's

I have a pair of KEF 303's, Version II.  I think they were called  the Celeste outiside of the US. 

Believe I bought them in summer of 1981. 

They cost $450 at the time, that's about $1300-$1350 today.

I thought they were great then. Today they don't compare to many speakers at their price and well below: Bass response is very weak - big rolloff from 70hz - very little output below that. Aren't particularly efficient and can't play that loud. 

Today you can do much better for less. Speaker desing and technology (especially cone design and materials) has vastly improved, especially what you get for your money. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

8 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Had to look to identify what I had... they were actually from the 70's, the Reference 103's. As a bookshelf speaker they rolled off in the bass and also at the top. But in between

they had very little driver distortion and cabinet resonance, something that even today many box speakers fail at. Definitely slow on transients by today's standards.

I'm not saying mine are bad souding - they have a nice balanced presentation that sounds good. But lacking overall power and dynamics and also low bass and the higher end. Lots of speakers today sound better. There are many fantastic bookshelf speakers on the market today that do everything better, including some by KEF. Hell, the LS50's are not a lot more in today's dollars, and they are several orders of magnitude better than my old model. I wouldn't want to live with the 303's as my main speaker. I could live with the LS50 and not be too upset about it.