IGNORED

New D/D Converters from Denafrips

@Blake Noted that you have experience with both an Iris and a Gaia and have used both together with a Chord Qutest.  I currently have a Chord Qutest in my main rig being fed via USB from a Roon Nucleus.  I'm considering inserting a D/D converter inbetween the Nucleus and Qutest.  Over at Audiogon you can see my rig here:  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8156

Trying to decide which of the Denafrips D/D converters is most appropriate to my use case.  Reaching out to you to get your take on the subject.  Thanks.

@Blake Thanks much for the prompt response.  Appreciated.  You and others have commented on just how transformative these D/D converters can be, and in your case in combination with the very DAC that sits in my main rig.  I typically take my time to ponder over decisions like these, so waiting a few more weeks is no big deal.   Have already decided that the Denafrips converters make more sense for me than the Innuos Phoenix, both from a price performance standpoint as well as from a flexibility standpoint. Just trying to decide which one, choosing between the Iris, Hermes and Gaia.  I also like the idea of freeing up my Qutest's USB port for use with the Melco.        

2 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

I have a very similar set up and have been wondering the exact same question.  As you probably know, the Qutest designer has stated that the Optical input is its best - with the galvanized USB "almost as good" - whatever this means. Perhaps the Iris is all we need? I'll probably mull over this for a while and wait for the Hermes.  Looking forward to your report if you decide to go ahead with either Gaia or Iris.

@OldBigEars Only issue with the optical input on the Qutest is that its ceiling is 96kHz.  Prior to acquiring the Nucleus a Node 2i was my principal source, and an AQ Vodka Toslink was my preferred input.  At the time I was only streaming Tidal and my own ripped redbook CDs, so 96kHz limit was all I needed (96kHz was all that was needed to support first unfold of MQA, and that's where things topped out at the time).  Year ago Qobuz became my preferred streaming service, and then a month ago began ripping SACDs, so now I very much require more bandwidth than the optical input allows.  As to Iris, Hermes or Gaia ... still cogitating ... at the moment still going back and forth in my head ... can make a case for any of them.

Iris is killer for the money and I am very happy with the performance.

The Gaia transforms the Qutest ...

I could see the Qutest+Gaia combo as an "end game" combo for the vast majority of audiophiles.  

@Blake First off, thanks for taking the time to compare the Iris to the Gaia. Your observations are very helpful.

If I were to put you on the spot, might you be able to give us any measure to just how effective the Iris is as compared to the Gaia.  On a 10 point scale or a percentage basis, to what extent does the Iris measure up in your opinion.

To what extent would Qutest+Iris combo be a game changer, particularly in a speaker based system.