IGNORED

How do we measure...?

On 5/12/2020 at 8:49 AM, DrJohnRead said:

the phenomenon of cueing. Perhaps this may have inflow onto the tuning of focus towards cardiac signals mentioned earlier.

Specifically, in marketing there is a well used audio cuing process to awaken attention. Typically advertising uses this for tv and radio advertisements to wake people’s brains up from idle to receive the information provided.

i suggest this is related to an overall sensitivity to change in auditory signals. I suggest this ability has survival value. Of course, like every ability, there are individual and class or group differences such as cardiologists who can discriminate certain audio signals from background noise.

I agree that without ways of sorting through the endless flood of incoming sensory information life would become pretty intense and difficult to navigate. Increase responsiveness to changing stimuli and habituation to background repetitive stimuli together with ASA (Auditory scene analysis -cocktail party effect) are just two ways of shifting attention in a way that best makes sense of the world. I agree there are evolutionary survival implications.

We can all discriminate certain audio signals from background noise ala ASA. The "cardiologist" example is a little different in that it involves training aka listening skills. We find what we know and see what we look for - a case of knowing what to look for.

On 5/12/2020 at 8:49 AM, DrJohnRead said:

In sum, it appears we have not scoped the key constructs, their definitions or created measures for a large part of critical Hi-Fi performance. And as a result we spend lots of time arguing over topics for which we don’t have epistemological control or language for. 

Amusingly we routinely put down attempts to raise such topics by those committed to the present rather than build a progressive agenda for expanding our knowledge in areas currently poorly researched measured defined and so on.

The epistemological problem, how do we know what we know, appears to be an entrenched tribal mentality that results in people only seeing what they are prepared to believe.

Sound Minds Mind Sound