IGNORED

Rasberry Pi Solution with Control on WiFi and Streaming on Ethernet

Greetings all,

First post here. I've been reading everything I can for the last two weeks on the topic of digital audiophile setups. I'm an audio newbie, but a career computer architect/programmer.

I have a somewhat unusual setup at home, partly dictated by the conditions of my work. I have a wired 'internal' network that is supposed to be secure, and an external wireless network that I can pretty much do as I please with. I don't manage the firewall that keeps these things separated. Within the secure network I have a NAS with a large music collection that I wish to stream, and I've got ethernet access points in the lounge where I can put the Pi to serve up the music.

The challenge is connecting the wireless mobile device to the internal network. As far as I can see, this can't be done. I can go from secure->insecure, but not the other way 'round, which makes sense.

So, the question: can the 'control plane' of the Pi streamer be wireless, and the music server on the Ethernet? In other words I'll have the Pi on two different networks, wireless running the control apps and wired running the stream. Possible?

I've done it with Windows. Don't know if you can do it with a Pi. If the pi can't do it, you could get a NUC or other inexpensive Windows box to use as a streamer.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 3/29/2020 at 7:28 PM, firedog said:

I've done it with Windows. Don't know if you can do it with a Pi. If the pi can't do it, you could get a NUC or other inexpensive Windows box to use as a streamer.

To make it easy with Windows, you need Widows 10 Pro....it allows you to keep Wifi and Ethernet totally separate and choose which one has priority. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)