IGNORED

Corona Virus

4 hours ago, Allan F said:

Fabric bags may be even better as "porous surfaces [such as fabric] don't allow viruses to survive as long because the small spaces or holes in them can trap the microbe and prevent its transfer" according to Rachel Graham, an epidemiologist at the University of North Carolina.

These are rapidly being warned against using as they are considerably more suspect than long ago made pallets of bags the store itself provides.  Largely for the reason stated below.    

54 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Don't underestimate infectious transmission through contact. I read on a couple of occasions from sources that should be reliable that touching surfaces contaminated with virus was a more common way of contracting the disease. I have no evidence with stats or hard figures but possibly it relates to many in the public thinking that only being coughed upon is a threat.

That surface include the one place almost everything heavy than the air lands on.  The one you walk into your elderly or infirmed family member's residence on.  Drop your supplies on to take your shoes off.  Probably should be treating just as seriously as your hands and face.  Cleaning the floor and not what potentially transferred Covid-19 to it is concerning.  That includes the fabric shopping bags you picked up off it to go shopping.

7 hours ago, Allan F said:

Warned against by whom? Sorry, I don't follow you. First of all my bags, which were purchased long before the coronavirus appeared, never touch the floor. Moreover, why would a porous fabric bag be more suspect than a smooth paper bag when viruses are known to generally last longer on smooth surfaces?

So don't follow.  At least consider taking "me" out of the equation and applying the idea to the population at large.  Even if this is of secondary, tertiary, or an even more distant concern compared to the never pleasant circumstance of walking away from encountering someone wetter than you entered it.  

Grocery stores, and those brave enough to show up to work, are doing anything possible to protect them and their work environment.  To remove any chance of infection entering the one place even the locales with militia patrolling the streets allow a break in curfew to visit.

23 hours ago, Allan F said:

@rando

My apologies. I stand humbly corrected. I just came across this article which describes studies that support what you posted. Reusable cloth supermarket tote bags should not be used. The information I had read referred to different materials generally and did not apply to tote bags.

Using tote bags instead of plastic could help spread the coronavirus

I appreciate this turnabout.  There is a fine line between forcing a wedge where a crack exists that needs to be given attention and using language that isn't conducive towards, is in fact leading towards invective, discovery and resolution.  My hope is that line wasn't crossed attempting to fire your attention away from the "me" who was correct and posed no risk.  Or at least minimal and would take action to reduce it further.  Even among those in the larger population who would take those steps.  A high percentage of them being distracted into mistakes exist.  

Without any personal stake existing any more. I can point towards Target as of this morning taking numerous steps in the direction outlined that includes banning sales and use of cloth bags.