IGNORED

Discussion of the UpTone / J.Swenson EtherREGEN 'white paper'

Hi guys,

Here is dumb question number one and two!

The paper states that the clock timing is the same regardless of "noise".

Understanding that, if the state change threshold is at 2 volts and the ground pane noise pushes the threshold voltage to 2.1 volts, won't a 2 volt "bit" go undetected? Likewise, assuming the noise can also lower the threshold, to say 1.9 volts, could not "bits" be detected that don't exist?

Just curious.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

The thresholds are usually set so they are somewhere in the middle between the low voltage and high voltage of the signal. The idea here is that there can be large amounts of noise and the "data" (the ones and zeros) still get recovered properly.

In many digital technologies the thresholds actually do change a little. In these technologies the threshold is a ratio between VSS and VDD (power and ground pins). So changes on the power pins can actually cause a change in the threshold. (there is actually a ton of stuff that can happen inside a chip, but I didn't want to get too far down THAT rabbit hole in this paper)

John S.

John, many thanks for the quick response. Having done many experiments, one detects patterns and your paper is consistent with observations made here.  I am grateful for your efforts, and I look forward to learning more.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, hopkins said:

Correct. Hence the 30 day money back guarantee... 

The key point is "why they matter and have an effect on various receiver chips and the DAC itself"... 

If there was nothing else going on between the ethernet receiver and the DAC that would be obvious, but it is far from the case. I think every one agrees on this, but once again, I think it should be clearly stated.

I'm sorry Hopkins, but I can't see the logic of your post.

In the paragraph you quoted above, Alex was introducing a few of the factors, not all of the factors, that are impacted by the ER. What do these have to do with a money back guarantee?

There is no claim or implication that the ER solves all sound quality ills. One merely has to look at the Uptone website to see other devices designed to solve issues in different  parts of the system chain.

What am I missing?