IGNORED

Article: UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Review and Comparison

On 3/10/2020 at 10:49 PM, austinpop said:

Thanks!

Yes, exactly right.

Much appreciation of your review from here in the UK, too!

I have two chained EtherRegens powered by a Sean Jacobs power supply and it's all working very nicely.

I am, however, considering adding a Mutec Ref 10 to improve things further.

Would I be right in saying from your experience this might not be the best approach and that I would save space (I don't have much) and money if I bought a Melco switch instead?  I have spare 12V rail in the power supply I could use for it.

Many thanks again, Mike

On 5/18/2020 at 5:03 PM, austinpop said:

Prescriptive advice is dangerous in audio, and I find it's even more so in the network part of the chain, as this tends to be very system- and house-dependent. So here are just some thoughts:

• I would be hesitant to spend that much on a REF 10 only for switches. It makes more sense if you have other gear with reference clock needs so you can amortize it over the rest of the chain.
  • Do experiment with fiber somewhere in the path. I find I like it between the 2 switches, using the Planet Tech MGB-TLX Mini GBIC LX transceivers
  • The eR/Melco combo certainly sounds very good here. 

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful reply. I am also hesitant to buy the Mutec just for the switch/es particularly in the light of understanding you found the Melco with quality linear power supply to be comparable to the ER with the same LPS and Mutec clock. I surmise that there will be advances if not with the Melco, at least with future switches, that surpass the ER or other switches offering the possibility of an external reference clock connection so that the Mutec may not be the best purchase in the long term (and that's leaving aside the amount of room it requires).

I will certainly try the fibre with Planet Tech MGB-TLX Mini GBIC LX. Which cable would you recommend?