IGNORED

Differences in sound: DAC vs. DAC + Pre-amplifier

Dear experts:

Many DACs have volume control function so they could serve as a DAC or as a DAC + Pre-amplifier.

Could you please report on the differences in the sound of your systems in both cases?

The latter configuration provides shorter signal path, but how does it effect the sound? What variables are in play here? I am planning my setup and would appreciate your expert advice very much indeed.

Please chime in!

Thank you very kindly, dear experts!

Like many of us in this wonderful hobby, I am after the SOUND, recreating the life-like atmosphere of concert hall in my listening space...

• Would you, dear experts, consider MATRIX Audio X-SABRE PRO (MQA) DAC to represent a good choice (my budget is only up to about 2K): it is hard for me to "decipher" the manual to understand if the analogue output stage, digital volume control, PSU, and other elements employed are of acceptable quality...
  • And another silly question: what separate pre-amplifier would be required in order to at least correspond to the specs of this DAC (SNR >-129dB 20Hz-20kHz A-Weighting and THD+N <0.00030% at 20Hz-20kHz A-Weighting)?
  • Just found another possible contender: TOPPING D90 DAC. What do you think of this budget-friendly option, please?
  • Alternatives?

Please chime in!

• 4 months later...

Dear experts::D
I have been following this fruitful discussion closely and found it very informative. My experience auditioning Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD in two quality setups (PASS Labs and Simaudio MOON power and pre) clearly demonstrates I was unable to distinguish reliably DAC direct vs. preamp mode. It “seems” I preferred DAC direct in PASS setup, and preamp mode with Simaudio MOON. I can offer no explanation here, unfortunately enough…:$