IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

sledwards

Did you misinterpret what I said?

I was referring to the info on Tim's website -

Info on Red Nano Fuse type used in KTE May model:

Single crystal nano fuse
Specification: 5X20mm @2A(220v) or 4A(110v)
Withstand voltage: 250V (T) slow speed
Features: This product is complicated in process, special materials can not be made, this fuse is 100% pure handmade!
Tip: Input in different directions, the tone is different. Can try different directions

Dear Diavolo

Re "utter nonsense".

First of all, Kitstune say that the KTE fuse is better SQ than the L1/L2 fuse ( and presumably you love the May KTE?).

Secondly (you may not believe what I am about to say, but, nonetheless, this is how I heard it). Using an "audiophile fuse" in my Auralic G2 gave (for me) SQ improvement. Reversing the fuse was immediately obvious. However, when I tried the same make of fuse in my Yggy and my Blue Hawaii SE, there was no improvement. Subsequently I sold the Aries G2 and bought an Aries G2.1 - the fuse had no effect on it's SQ. Take this as you will.

Ipost

I will eventually try flipping the fuse, but it won't be until the May has at least 500 hrs on it. I was hoping that those of you that have had your May's for some period have already tried this? Either way, one run's out of superlatives describing the SQ of the May KTE. This topic really does annoy some folk!

Toni-Mang

I agree with you. For most of us the technicalities do not matter - but for some these technicalities do reinforce their decision to purchase this  DAC. I am certain that my May KTE sounds better than my Yggy. Surely, this is all that matters? But, I think most of us purchased the May KTE because we are on the inevitable upward spiral, seeking equipment which will bring us closer to SQ Nirvana.

Scintilla

I accept that our brain is an extremely major part of our perceived sound differences.

I think that I can hear differences during the burn-in process. But, indeed, it might all be "in my mind". I am happy to be enlightened.

1. Do you still possess a May KTE?

2. Have you employed an impartial person, with a very good ear, to listen and evaluate your May KTE, as it "burns-in" from 0hrs to 500hrs and then 1,000hrs? And then give their opinion as to improvement, or otherwise, in SQ ? This would be an interesting experiment.

Do appreciate that I am not dismissing your thoughts/opinion.

Extreme_Boky

Re "I suppose the comparison between a brand new virgin DAC, and the well run-in DAC, would probably reveal if the burn-in process makes any difference. Holo Audio May dealers should be able to perform this test easily...".

Perhaps we can assume that Kitsune USA did this? So this is the reason that they recommend 500hrs burn-in?

First of all I have to say that I listen exclusively via Blue Hawaii/Stax SR009S headphones.

With my previous dac (Schiit Yggdrasil) the sound stage was nothing special.

Now, with May KTE it is very special - but.

On some recordings the sound stage is wide and evenly spread.

On others it is more centralised.

On others it is unevenly divided ie lots on the left, lots on the right , with a little in between.

In otherwords the May is extremely critical regarding the sound stage - it does not improve what is not there.

What I am saying is that on the best recordings the sound stage is superb, but on most, this is not so.

Do other folk hear this as well?

• 8 months later...

The other day I noticed that the IEC plug had fallen out of the receptacle on my May power supply.

Is there an easy solution to rectify this (aside from adapting an IEC plug retaining clip that suits other receptacles, which are held in by screws rather that clip in).

Correction - the May receptacle is held in by screws, but not like most other IEC receptacles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/5/2022 at 6:44 AM, musicman1 said:

So by selecting that mode it just means it can be oversampled but it is completely driven by the source? I'm looking at some streamers that allow oversampling so would it need to be setup at the source? I don't use HQPlayer and have no interest in Roon.   

Interesting that you don't use HQPlayer.  HQPlayer blows my Auralic Aries G2.1 into the weeds!  Much improved sound plus (for even better sound) it will convert lo res flac, hi res flac and DSD64 (and above) into DSD512 (the limit of my NAA and DDC).

Re Jussi's recommendations regarding best settings for Holo Audio DAC's.

I am an extremely happy owner of a May KTE.

I have accepted that 20 bits is best for this DAC (although I cannot hear the difference between 20 & 24 bits).

As I will always listen to Jussi's opinion, can someone provide a link to where Jussi said that DSD256 is the optimum setting for my DAC?

I have tried DSD256 + EC modulator but, at least for the time being, I have settled on DSD512 with the "best" non-EC modulator.

I would have tried DSD1024 except that neither my Mac Mini M1 or my NAA or my DDS or my May will work with this resolution.

On 6/5/2022 at 6:44 AM, musicman1 said:

So by selecting that mode it just means it can be oversampled but it is completely driven by the source? I'm looking at some streamers that allow oversampling so would it need to be setup at the source? I don't use HQPlayer and have no interest in Roon.   

This is, indeed,  a good news story and reinforces the usefulness of this forum.

Some very eloquent and knowledgeable members have successfully managed to convert a "non-believer" into a true appreciator of HQPlayer.  Jussi would be pleased!

This is why I constantly follow the forum.