IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

Just took delivery on a MAY KTE and plan to use HQP to power upsampling to the DAC. I have two questions that I hope those who have come before me can answer:

1. Is burn-in really a thing with this DAC? I read posts where people say that you really need 400+ hours of continuous playing (often unattended playlists just for this purpose) to really get the most out of the MAY. I am still waiting on my Pass Labs amp being delivered in a few weeks so have the time to just hook up the MAY to burn-in if that’s really required. But this feels like one of those audiophile myths that so often get debated.

2. I have the choice between a small form factor i9900k PC or an M1 Mac Mini for running HQP. My NAA will be an Intel NUC running the NAA OS image provided by HQP team. Plan is to experiment between 1.5 PCM upsampling vs DSD 256. Seems some people prefer one or the other with 1.5 PCM being the favorite. I think both systems can easily handle the PCM side. I’m leaning towards the M1 due to its small size, and virtually silent operation even though it would be running some distance from the NAA NUC. Any reason to choose one over the other? M1 is MUCH more power efficient as well.

Thanks for the input.

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

There isn't a new version of the dac. 

The usb card received a revision. But it wasn't intended to be a quality upgrade. It was intended to address limitations when using XMOS on non-Intel systems. (no 1.536mhz support) 

A bit confused. A hardware usb card update or a firmware update for existing MAY owners? If the former, what are existing owners supposed to do?

26 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

Those update notes are in regards to the enhanced 2.0 usb vs original 1.0 usb. 

Not the 2.1 revision vs 2.0 revision or the dac itself (which has not changed) 

Still confusing. Is there a new hardware USB card for existing MAY owners or not? I don’t use Windows so the main issue is non-Intel USB devices like a RPI4, Mac, or other transport such as a Rendu which runs on Linux. Just seeking clarity on exactly what Kitsune is offering and recommending here for existing MAY owners. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I haven’t updated to the latest firmware but I did notice that my new MAY had weird volume issues when I was upsampling PCM using HQPlayer. Not sure if this is related to the DAC’s volume issue of not. But I am sad if it turns out the sound quality has degraded with the new USB module. My new MAY came with the new module and so all the great 3D soundstage that has been described in reviews of the MAY have been part of my expectations with this DAC. Can anyone else who has ‘upgraded’ comment on if they are noticing a soundstage different. Or is this just the new firmware?

9 hours ago, Extreme_Boky said:

Ensure the volume is set to maximum even if your new card has the latest fixed-volume firmware installed. Why? Because if you leave it, for example, at 0 setting for the Left channel (or right Chanel), you may freak out when you install the original USB card.

For us new to the MAY, how is this done? I have my MAY accepting USB input via an Intel NUC running HQP OS off a USB stick. Thanks.

Fellow MAY owners: having a problem with my new streaming setup using the MAY. I have a Bluesound Node connected to the MAY’s COAX input so my wife and I can stream Apple Music for music exploration. However, when we start a song the MAY goes into a long ‘LOCKING’ process and we lose much of the beginning of the first song (seems like it takes upwards of 10-15 sec). Any song after that in a playlist streams fine. But starting and stopping music results in this long wait for the MAY to grab the stream. Any suggestions to resolve this? I also have an Intel NUC connected via USB for Roon/HQPlayer streaming and it locks and starts immediately.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...