IGNORED

Analog Cable Help

To me, this is a 'killer decision' - get it wrong, and the SQ will always be subpar, no matter what I do elsewhere. I have no "this is what you should use!" answer, because the real efforts need to be made in getting the link organised so that no noise generating mechanisms can play a part.

I wouldn't go anywhere near doing something like running the cable through a conduit, until I was 100% sure that there was no impact on the SQ - so, before paying much moolah for getting it installed, I would experiment with running it through in the clear light of the room itself; so that at least if it didn't work out on SQ terms, then all that is lost is the cost of the materials.

2 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

5. I can swear that my whole system's residual /background noise levels drops further and further each time I increase the shielding on my PC's and Signal cables.

You can hear that digitalis and harshness is banished and sweet Hi-frequencies, superior ambient sonic stage, superior thumping bass on my Abyss 1266 Phi/cc is increasing in clarity, depth of low bass( more like a Rumble and GROWL now!) are now more evident.

7. At the back of the DAC, I have done the same but with Mu - metal sheets to cover the RCA/XLR output cables. Even my IsoRegen and SMS 200Ultra Neo have their own Mu metal shields.

This material I had left over from a DIY preamp project.  Again a noticeable drop in residual noise and increase in clarity  in ambience / hall echo sound on Playback; (especially evident in Live albums well recorded say in 24bit/96khz. 

Yes, the process of eliminating all the little, niggling "not quite good enough" 's steadily advances the key, subjectively important qualities - all part of the step by step ... ... 😉.

• 4 weeks later...

On a serious note, I bought a heavy duty electric garden shredder years ago - serious stuff, made from thick sheets of metal, all welded together, with a commercial quality electric motor. Had a big warning in the guide, "Do not use a long extension cord!!" - IOW, the voltage drop when sucking big amps could be a problem.

But I wanted to shred waaay down in the back yard - so I started a hunt for serious power cable, and finally found the one local place that sold 240V/25A cable by the length - emptied half the shops reel! 😁 Lovely, juicy copper in it, it was a battle to get the cord into the plugs at either end - and worked nicely. Unit had plenty of grunt - now and again triggered the circuit breaker on that spur when working on some really meaty branch; had to wander back to the house and reset it, 😉.