IGNORED

Article: A New Listening Room Part Two: Acoustics, Speakers, DSP

35 minutes ago, firedog said:

I'm not answering for Chris if you are asking him, but Audiolense gave me the option of up to 5 filters - one for each of the common PCM rates digital music is found in: 44.1-192. I'm using Roon to do the DRC and one of the advantages of Roon is that it will automatically match the SR of the incoming file to the proper filter. If I happen to play something at 8X rates, Roon will also upsample a filter to match that rate. 

On a moderately powerful server the DRC/DSP is not challenging: at the moment I'm listening to a 24/44.1 source and with DRC + added digital EQ Roon is converting it at a 60X speed. If you are trying to do the same thing with DSD it is obviously more resource intensive (my server will do the same thing in DSD at about a 3X speed) - but still not an issue. That's one of the advantages of doing it in software over a unit like a Lyngdorf or a DEQX - those used to only work internally at 96k rates (I think they still do), as they don't have the computing power to go higher. Of course, you could make the argument that DRC at 4X rates etc, is superflous.

Thanks firedog.

Steve Plaskin

22 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Merc - I’m unsure of the limits, but I’m sure @mitchco will know. He created filters for me at 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192. I just upload one zip file to Roon and it handles switching between them based on the rate of the track. 

Excellent! Thanks Chris.

Steve Plaskin