IGNORED

Let's be Honest and tell me the truth.

STC

The Jason recordings don't have the mics in his ear lobes.  They are hanging outside.  Not much different than a Jecklin disk or actually worse.  The mics make me think they are relatively transparent, but the sound clusters around each ear and there is big hole of nothing in the middle.  This when I listened over Sony MDR 7510 phones. 

JA's recordings with the Senn's are much better.  Sound still clusters around each ear, but there is a hint of the middle and a hint of some space rather than just flat sound.   Now I don't know if it is the mics or positioning or system differences.  My impression is the Senns are a little slow and murkey sounding or the systems JA listened too weren't as good.  

Of those Jason listened to I would judge the Martin Logans the best, but that is really going too far.  Of JA's I'd rate the Wilson system best, but it seemed to miss the top, bottom and dynamics a bit. 

It might be worth looking into the in ear mics that Mitchco uses.  

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Sound-Professionals-Ear-ultra-flexible/dp/B00HAL7E24/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=ms-tfb2+in+ear+microphones&qid=1575007615&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Come close to getting some myself, but don't know if I would use them often enough.  A big part of my curiousity is binaural doesn't really work for me, and I wonder if I used my own outer ear if perhaps it would.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I assume the small in ear Sony's are omni's.  So they will not be picky about aim.  I've experimented with quite a few baffles.  You'd be surprised the things that work okay for stereo using baffled omnis.  As for balance and such I can't comment too much as the sound was literally right at each ear like two totally disconnected streams of sound.  I suppose I need to try them over stereo speakers.

The JA recordings clustered around each ear, but not only right at the ear.  The streams seemed loosely connected for each ear, and there was a little bit of image in between, but it was amorphous and ghostly.  But I'm the wrong person to ask about binaural recordings.  They just don't work for me like other people somehow.  

My experience with baffled recordings is they tend to have a whole in the middle until they become almost mono. They also distort relative angles of sound though if you weren't at the recording you'll never notice it. I've had in mind doing a Jecklin disk and using a thrid mike straight ahead mixed in to see if you could improve upon things.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, STC said:

The Sony is not really in ear binaural microphones. Capturing live performance and and phantom image of stereo playback is entirely different. 

You made one good observation about two distinct sound streaming.

The clue is in the short clip attached. 

Yes I listened to the short clip.  Could hear mouse clicks in it as well it seemed.  :)