IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

I have used static IP addresses for my networked audio gear ever since learning how to do so. I did find issues, not with the drop outs being talked about here, but rather there has been a some audio software, in the past that could not find the hardware if the IP changed due to lease loss and power disturbances. Of course, turning everything off, then on, would fix things, but that gets tiring.

etherRegen, being an simple switch (not managed) does not get its own IP address, correct? Planning my static IP table, my Roon Core running NAS is already running with a fixed IP.

My etherRegen is in the second batch.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

• 4 weeks later...

Installed mine last night (December shipping) and had no issues. I did have to power cycle the Bricasti to get an IP address, but that was like that before, with the TrendNet hub.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

• 2 weeks later...

I have deployed the eR for a couple of weeks as well. Last weekend, I changed the switch feeding the eR to one with an SFP cage, and connected via optical to the eR. No hitches with installation, and it all got started up without drauma.

Ubiquiti U Fiber Multi-Mode SFP 1G

As predicted, there was no immediate SQ changes from the optical link to side A. Overall, there has been a decent amount of SQ improvement by the eR, and I am happy with the purpose, and the new setup.

When is version 2 coming out? My version 1 etherRegen just quit working across the "moat". My streamer works find on the "dirty" side with the incoming fiber. It is not working from the "clean" side as of yesterday. I did some debugging, with extra patch cables etc. No workee from the clean side, works fine on the other side.

I was unable to see my Bricasti M12 from Roon. We are subject to short power outages related to thunderstorm activity. These tend to unhook the M12, solved with a power off/on. I assumed this was the case again, but no luck. (BTW, the Bricasti, and the etherRegen iFi PSU are plugged into a Bricasti Bit15)

I use the etherRegen with an optical cable to the B side, and the A side via copper Ethernet to the M12.

Once I became convinced that cycling the M12 would not work, I checked the etherRegen:

1) Power on. Lights at the A side port on, not blinking.

2) swapped in a different Ethernet cable ER to M12 - no joy.

3) swapped the different cable to the B side port - worked fine

4) put the “good” Ethernet cable to B side - M12 - worked fine.

I got one of the early shipments and still consider it a premium, custom, device. Decidedly well priced, and technologically above, the competition.

Open to any suggestions, but I think I debugged the unit. Things happen, things sometimes fail.

Currently, I’m playing music, and will await version 2.

Thanks for all the work you do for this community.

Michael

Yep, network issues. Just talking to Alex made things work again… Just not something I considered since everything else works fine.

Thanks for the great support  Alex. Going out of town tomorrow, I’ll try the update when I’m home next week. It’s playing fine now. Makes me wonder how many times that has happened, and I blamed the Bricasti and power outages. Hopefully, the update will increase the tolerance.