IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

I've ordered an ER. But would like some advice: today running an Auralic Aries connected to my router (separate for music streaming only) via two TP-Link MC210CS for isolation (via a 10m long fiber-cable). But the MC210 is SC and I'm therefore wondering whether you would recommend an SC-LC adapter/cable to feed the ER directly, or run via the two MC210s and instead add the ER downstream from the last MC210? Have little technical competence, just good intentions to get the best sound - so appreciate any advice.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I am back. Drop out again (after pulling the plug out before a thunderstorm), went through the whole procedure of unplugging everything and turning them patiently on in turn, set up a fixed IP and got it to play. For half a song after which it lost the next work / IP again. So no more “fuggedaboutit” - as I seem to be having the same issues of late after having played for 4 months no issues what so ever. And I’ve made no changes to my setup at all

On 6/26/2020 at 10:43 PM, Superdad said:

Hi:

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Let's first make sure that your EtherREGEN has not somehow failed (that would be rare; only 3 out of 1400 have had field failure).

Since there is almost no way for a

Hi Alex will go through these steps now and report back. 

On 6/26/2020 at 10:43 PM, Superdad said:

Hi:

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Let's first make sure that your EtherREGEN has not somehow failed (that would be rare; only 3 out of 1400 have had field failure).

Since there is almost no way for a EtherREGEN to have a 'B' side failure and still have 'A' side working, and since it simplifies diagnostics, let's have you stay on the 'A' side while trying these steps:

a) Skip the optical SFP port of the EtherREGEN and connect a copper network feed cable to one of the 'A' side ports.

b) Attach a normal desktop/laptop computer (with monitor) to one of the other 'A' side copper ports.  Open a web browser and see if you can get onto the internet. If you can, then proceed to the next step. If you can't, then we need to figure out why.

c) Assuming you were able to browse internet in step b), now plug your Auralic Aries G2 into one of the other 'A' side  ports. Does that work?  What color is the LED blinking above the port on the EtherREGEN where you have it plugged in?

d) If you now have connectivity with your Aries G2 (via using just copper ports on 'A' side) then remove the network feed from the 'A' side copper port and plug your optical transceiver--which is your network feed--into the EtherREGEN's SFP cage.  You may need to wait about one minute and then power cycle your Aries G2.

Do you now have connectivity to your Aires?

That's enough for now. I'll wait for your report to the exact steps above.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

P.S. Are you by any chance Xavier from Canada? We received an EtherREGEN support request from that name a day ago--and it also involves an Aries G2.

Hi Alex @Superdad. Everything works well through all the steps except after reinserting the SFP I get confirmation of network connection and start playing - but after half a song it then drops out (on the Auralic, I see it loosing the connections earlier and then the last of the buffered song plays). and from having both green and orange lights  on the B output, they both went dead.

I played at least two songs through the Ethernet/copper-line attached with no issues (green and orange light). 

Tried powering on and off the Auralic again - got the orange light back on and a few intermittent green blinks but to no avail.

So there definitely something going on with the spf. Since some other users with SPF / optical feeds lately seem to have experienced these dropouts - different routers and setups - the common denominator is of course the etherregen. But I am seriously no expert. And by the way neither the Xavier from canada 😉 I’m Michael from Sweden.

any thoughts ?