IGNORED

Electronic Engineering and hi-fi set-up

On 11/6/2019 at 1:33 PM, Blackmorec said:

This morning I was looking out of the window as my wife commented on how hard it was raining. I looked but could not ‘see’ any rain and there were no puddles so I didn’t see any rings. Thinking about it I realised that I was looking out through very fine mesh mosquito netting, left over from summer, so I released the netting and let it roll up. Looking out of the window again I could now clearly see it raining.  While the mosquito netting is almost invisible and has very little if any affect on the lake view so wasn’t noticed, it completely obscured the fine detail of falling rain and its exactly these fine details that we use in hi-fi to provide sonic clues about soundstage, timbre, ambience etc.  So what’s the equivalent of the mosquito netting in hi-fi? Essentially it would be anything that obscures the system’s ability to resolve detail.  Remove them and hey-presto, it sounds like you’ve added something!  The electronics engineers who build our hi-fis are able to design, manufacture and measure equipment to perform at the very pinnacle of the art, but is that what we’re actually going to hear?  Not if there’s a step missing.....the set-up that ensures that there’s no sonic mosquito nets between you and your  music. 

I think you with the mosquito net have made a very good and “clear” analogy, bravo.

On 11/7/2019 at 1:45 AM, Kal Rubinson said:

Removing the AC/PS reduces/removes the noise.  The battery neither adds nor removes anything (ideally).

The battery can be disconnected from the mains and by being disconnected it will be isolated from the mains noise, ground loops and less prone to transmit leaking currants.

Battery has their cons as well, naturally, and I would not say it’s better than a well-made LPS or anything.