IGNORED

Hi-Res - Does it matter? Blind Test by Mark Waldrep

Ajax

7 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

There are a number of examples that show a significant increase in levels of ultrasonic noise and other distortions in the hi-res version. While the sampling rate is increased, the actual resolution is not.

That applies especially to many SACDs that contained no musical content whatsoever past 21kHz, with in many cases them apparently  using the same RBCD mastering .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

That applies especially to many SACDs that contained no musical content whatsoever past 21kHz, with in many cases them apparently  using the same RBCD mastering .

One thing that I want to chime-in about.  It is EASY to mistake the noise modulation above audible range as audio content.  It is not, but is the NR system (e.g. DolbyA) doing a gain-up on the highest frequency bands, and therefore causing the noise to TRANSIENTLY increase in level.

There ARE cases where there is content above 21kHz,, but all too often, the noise modulation (and NR splats from intermodulation) can be mistaken for content.

So, I know that YOU know this Alex, but for others who might not realize:  when it looks like there is content because of the spectogram level surges, it just might not be actual content.

John

1 minute ago, John Dyson said:

So, I know that YOU know this Alex, but for others who might not realize:  when it looks like there is content because of the spectogram level surges, it just might not be actual content.

Nevertheless, there are some hi res releases where the original analogue tapes contained some genuine musical content to >30kHz 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Nevertheless, there are some hi res releases where the original analogue tapes contained some genuine musical content to >30kHz 

Yes, I think that I gave the caveat that there ARE cases of acutal recording information residing over 21kHz, but just because there are noise modulation surges and IMD splats that doesnt mean that there is actual recording information other than splats and variable noise.   Sometimes there are wideband recordings, and sometimes there are fake wideband recordings.

I think that you noticed best -- mentioned the real background hiss seemed to have an upper bound of 21kHz or so, and that would be the area of actual content on that recording.

John