IGNORED

removing 1.6 TB audio from my hard drive

bobbmd

Question

recently upgraded to 4 TB WD SSD harddrive for my late 2012 i7 16GB RAM mac mini

how can i EASILY remove the 1.6 TB audio from the harddrive?

the audio is all my 800+ ripped cd's and dvd-a discs with probably a lot of duplicates ie this is my itunes library

these 800+ albums reside also in ROON and A+3 and on TIDAL/Qobuz

will they remain on these players/services if i delete them from the hard drive or will they disappear??

i also have them backed up on 2 backups plus my apple time capsule extreme(the tower with 2TB-now full)

thanks bobbmd

2 answers to this question

Have you transferred the files to your new hard drive?  If not, that is the first order of business.  If you have, you can just go to your old hard drive and highlight the music files and delete them.  They will be gone (unless you use sophisticated software to retrieve deleted files and you haven't overwritten them).  No access to them anymore.  My understanding is that Roon, etc.  doesn't make a copy of the files, but accesses them on the hard drive. Tidal and Qobuz have their own copies of files, but they are not the same as the ones you have from CD rips,etc.  You could use one of the backups as the source for your files until you transfer the files to your new hard drive.  BTW, copying 1.6TB of files does take time, depending on the speed of your transfer.  Not familiar with A+3.   Someone else more knowledgeable may have a better answer.  

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

@astrotoy (Larry)thanks but that is the jest of my concern—— on the new 4TB WD SSD 1.6TB of the 4TB’s are consumed by my audio- so I guess i’ll Just leave them on the new hard drive you more or less confirmed what i thought but as withA+3(audirvana) has an iTunes legacy engine with them on it and you are so correct about time of transfer—- i spent 2 whole NFL seasons ripping then reripping all those cd’s to my original Mac mini hard drive!!! Never again and i doubt i will ever accumulate another  1.6TB of music talk about boring

and tedious and as i said they are on 3 different backups 

thank you very much for your reply

bobbmd