IGNORED

Rendu setup for dummies

I may be purchasing an Ultrarendu shortly here in UK but am unsure of  the setup procedure. I was under the impression that I could connect direct from my laptop to the rendu via an

ethernet cable and selecting DLNA within JRiver/Audirvana and the rendu but my son say's it isn't as simple as that. I don't use a NAS nor do I particularly want to. I have no idea

what switches are when referred to on forums here and have no interest in creating a 'network'. I simply want to use my laptop as a source device as I do now and would like to obtain better sound quality in my system, hence the rendu. Music is stored locally on a 1TB SSD within the laptop. Am I the only one on this site with an interest in computer audio/sound quality (for many years now) who doesn't have a degree in computing. I guess I could just purchase the rendu and leave it up to my son but he doesn't live particularly close by so I would really like to know what needs to be done. Any pointers would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

Did you check Sonore (rendu manufacturer) site? They should have pretty simple explanation on settings, etc. 

Normally, rendu should have access to network and work as an intermediate endpoint between server computer and DAC. It is very easy to set if you did it once. Audirvana will "see" it. I use a NUC endpoint instead of rendu for the same purpose. It is possible to connect NUC to laptop with ethernet cable and to DAC with usb cable, and it will work without accessing the network, however, you should set access of endpoint to network for its full functionality.

Good luck!