IGNORED

HQPlayer4 EC modulator tips and techniques

ted_b

15 hours ago, jabbr said:

No, permanent settings aren't assigned to cores.

We're probably talking at cross purposes. Independent of AVX, I can assign a fixed clock frequency to all cores. For AVX an AVX offset is also possible. For example -5, which would allow me to throttle the CPU from 4.1 - 5 = 3.6 GHz when using AVX instruction sets like HQPlayer. Of course this is not useful for EC modulators. 

As you can see in the HWMonitor, all 8 cores are permanently assigned 4.1GHz. What differs is the degree of utilization (in %). I appreciate this setting in the BIOS very much, because it brings more silence into the sound image compared to permanently changing clock frequencies. Just give it a try. 😉

spacer.png

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Are you saying that you DISABLE AVX in BIOS?

No, I have said that I am not using the AVX offset which would result in lower CPU performance. Without AVX the operation of the HQPlayer is not possible.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

My CPU cores typically run at 1.2 Ghz when unused and that is very quiet!

I'm not denying that. But at 1.2 GHz you could hardly run an EC modulator, could you? 😉 So it depends on how the cores behave in music mode. And here I see an advantage in having all cores at the same level of 4.1 GHz for example. This is of course a question of your own ears. I tried both settings and decided to go for the more restless version. Have you tried both variations? Only then does it make sense to discuss it.

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2020 at 9:36 PM, Miska said:

There are two things; 1) doing filters to rate X and 2) doing modulator at rate X.

(1) can utilize almost any number of cores while (2) cannot and depends more on per-core speeds.

GPU is especially good at (1) having a lot of parallel cores. While CPU with low core count and high clock speeds is good at (2). Hence the combo. Although something like W-2245 gives nice compromise between the two with AVX512. 9900K(S) leans a bit more towards (2) but not too much different.

Jussi, are there advantages with the EC modulators using a CPU with AVX512 compared to a CPU with AVX2?

For example https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-Xeon-W-3235/3334vs3601