IGNORED

HQPlayer4 EC modulator tips and techniques

ted_b

3 hours ago, ted_b said:

It will be interesting to hear whether the EC modulators improve DSD (say 256) enough in my setup to change the way I upsample.  My Holo Spring does a great job upsampling PCM to 384K (and DSD to 512) but I never preferred converting PCM to a DSD variant.  Maybe now I will.  We'll see...thx

Hi Ted,

On my Holo Spring 2 KTE, I still prefer PCM 384 over DSD 256 with any EC modulator/filter combo for PCM source material. I will be interested to hear your take. I use HQP for both, not the internal chip of the Spring.

Bob

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

Bob

thanks. I kinda misspoke earlier when I said my Holo does a great job upsampling PCM. I of course meant does a great job with upsampled PCM (all upsampling done by HQP). I suspect same results as you but who knows. 

Thx

Hi Ted,

The EC Modulators at 256 with the poly-sinc EXT 2 filter does sound great but I guess I prefer the sound of PCM when converted by a true multi-bit DAC like the Spring. To me it has a bit more life. The PCM--> DSD/SDM process seems to round it off a bit. If one has a typical chip DAC, then the comparison is really to the chip designer's version of SDM to Jussi's version of SDM. I think that there is a whole generation who has not really heard PCM. I am old enough to have had one of the first Revox CD players with a 14 bit R2R ladder DAC inside and it was the best CD player I ever had. I kept it until they couldn't fix it. Looking forward to your results.

A quick suggestion; why not move all the posts in the HQP thread on this subject to this thread.

Thanks,

Bob

• 9 months later...