IGNORED

HQPlayer4 EC modulator tips and techniques

ted_b

5 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Just like to share EMF/RFI experiences.. 

1. Ethernet connections between HQPlayer Server and the NAA can work Without Internet.. yes Without!

2. I use a SOTM SMS200 Ultra Neo and an Asus AC68 then a Netgear GS105 both on separate 12v LPSU. 

3. The Server can find the Sms200 as the Asus Ac68 provides the network protocol to the Netgear GS105 which connects to both the Server and NAA.

4. Periodically I find I hv to connect the Asus AC68 to my broadband router to hv the internet signal to 'refresh' the network settings! When do I hv to do this ? When my Dsd256 upsampling fr PCM starts minir stuttering!

5. What is my point?

I was hearing much more analogue impactful SQ without the internet router linkage. 

6. I had to do this internet refreshing 2 hours ago and even though my broadband router is also on 12v LPSU.. the SQ dropped immediately. so much more 'hard' less 'analogue' SQ. I tried the internet modem on the default SMOS.. Digital hardness creep into the SQ🤨😅

2 lessons I learnt..

1. Without Internet Sotm NAA works and gives wonderful SQ with high PRAT!

2. NAA with 2 levels of switch separation still lets thru internet noise which in the ethernet link

Guess i am waiting for the Uptone switch

YMMV

It could depend on system/components. My set would be similar in certain level (macmini with HQP -> Netgear GS105 -> NUC NAA) When Netgear was powered by generic PSU I heard difference between router connected and disconnected mode. Now, when it powered with LPSU the difference, if any, is so small I do not bother with router connection anymore. Plan to get LPS for router, however...)

5 hours ago, k6davis said:

I'm not quite understanding the network topology here. From what I read, there are 4 components: a router, a switch, the HQP server and a NUC NAA. Exactly how are they connected? And what benefit does the switch provide?

router -> macmini -> netgear -> NUC. Netgear works as additional filter between macmini and NUC NAA. What is you topology in comparison?

46 minutes ago, k6davis said:

router -> HQP Server

router -> NUC NAA

I didn't know you could connect the HQP Server directly to the NAA. That would require 2 Ethernet ports on the server though, right? In from the router and out to the Netgear/NUC NAA? 

Is the Netgear switch required or is it an enhancement? 

Yes, mac mini has only one ethernet port, but I use one of its usb ports for connecting router through usb to ethernet adapter. Actually, I was trying even simpler version: router -> mini -> NUC. And, also direct mini -> NUC short ethernet connection. The last one was tricky, because only Euphony NAA on a NUC recognized this connection without hassle. Direct connection provides very good sound. But, Netgear powered by LPSU and added in the middle may work as an additional filter between mini, which is powered by its original internal SMPS, and NUC which is powered by PH LPSU.