IGNORED

Impressions of Lumin T2?

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the T2 streamer/Dac. I've been asking on various forums about T2 Owner's impressions. I have heard from many that the T2 is closer to the X1 than the D2. In fact, many have said the T2 is miles ahead of the D2 in sound quality. The T2 is approx $2k more than the D2. I do not need the ability for dac inputs, so this unit seems ideal and will last a long while. In fact, If I ever wanted, down the road, to use a different Dac, the T2 has a USB output. Plus, the unit has balanced outputs which will be a new requirement moving forward.

If you have heard, compared or own the T2, please let me know your impressions and how the T2 stacks up to other brands with similar units.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great info. First I heard the T2 leans a little on the clinical side of neutral. That is how I always pictured the sound of Benchmark Dacs. I wonder if the Teac by 505 is a bit clinical as well. Yes, I know it’s half the price of a D2. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 2:58 PM, hlkaye said:

I recently auditioned both the T2 and the Auralic Vega G1.  Both were a significant improvement over my previous set-up: Sonore Micro Rendu and Ayre Codex.  Going in to the audition, I expected to prefer the Lumin, given the reviews I had read, but both my wife and I strongly preferred the Auralic Vega G1.  In our system (ARC LS17SE, Aesthetix Atlas Signature, Magneplanar 3.7i), the T2 sounded too dark and "thick" (i.e. slightly muddy).  The Auralic had greater clarity and detail and a more realistic soundstage.  We bought the Auralic, but I'm sure that some others auditioning both would prefer the Lumin, given the characteristics of their system and musical tastes.

Great info. I agree...much is system dependent. Do you use Roon? If so, any issues setting up the G1 for such?