IGNORED

DAC to PC set up

Hi all, I'm new to the group as I just discovered this site and really like all of the interesting topics being discussed.

I will be receiving an Ayre QB-9 a

ny day now and would like to connect it to a computer that is 50 ft from where the DAC will be located. I understand that USB cable should not exceed 15 ft. I do have a ethernet cable available and would like to know if NAS is an option. I'm thinking, run the ethernet cable to the NAS and use the USB on the NAS to connect to the DAC. Will this work or am I totally lost?

Thanks,

Stan

Sorry, you can't connect a QB9 direct to a NAS. You need to connect it direct to the computer. Either move the computer or use long interconnects.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Stan,

If the Ayre's USB is self-powered, you will be able to use 50 ft. It will have to go via USB extension cables though, because I don't think you will be able to get USB on that length. Still no problem, it works here too (mind you, for other DACs). But, do *not* use active expanders. Just 4 USB cables connected to eachother.

Regards,

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Thanks for the responses Eloise and Peter.

Looks like I will use a seperate PC in my audio rack to feed the DAC.

This being the case, does anyone know if I can access a media player on the PC, e.g. JR River Media Jukebox with a hand held wireless tablet e.g. Nokia N800 or Archos 70?

I originally had a Olive Opus 5 that I could control with both my desktop PC and a Nokia N800.

Thanks,

Stan

I'm sure others will know the answer to the remotes question Stan; I only wanted to add that if you go the USB route afterall, my "self powered" actually means that the power for the USB connection is fed from within the DAC, and not over USB itself. I wasn't quite clear on this, and while Eloise normally is the first to correct me, I now better do it myself.

:-)

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)