IGNORED

Computer Storage - Best Practices

boy this was tough to follow...

ok, here's a SUSPECTING Newbie... where did the wise elderly end up?
I'm going Mac Mini as transport, USB out to DAC
If bits are bits then shouldn't matter that i do this from internal SATA HDD (and the only benefit of upgrading to SSD would be Speed)

are all those other posts about hearing benefits running OS off SD Card, storing music on separate bus from DAC output type, and trying to run the music off RAMdisk then moot if bits are just bits?

thanks in advance,

a.r.

32 minutes ago, mansr said:

They are apparently not interested in learning that most aspects of storage devices are simply not relevant for sound quality.

was having this discussion with an engineer colleague at work...
if a digital bit is just a 1 or 0... and it's all going to a machine that will C that D to an A
why does it matter what machine sends that 1 or 0 and how it's sent?
i apologize and i'm not trying to stir up an argument
i just want to know what is wrong with my logic above

in the interest of preventing any further arguments - may i suggest that if you agree with the above and to you a "bit is a bit" - please refrain from posting a response that calls the other side "unicorn believers" etc etc

and from the side that believes for example "SD Card is far superior than SSD" for SQ... does anyone have a thought as to why? I'll start... is it possible that one bus is more error-prone on reproducing these 0's and 1's?...

On 4/26/2019 at 6:15 PM, davide256 said:

I suspect there is a trade off where an SSD while not bad in and of itself, can be  a bad USB out  neighbor inside the computer chassis. I don't believe that read errors are the issue here so much as an electrically dirty environment from read activity causing bad sound with USB out. I'd prefer to see digital audio players read playlists to memory and "lock out" disk read/write during audio processing.

This is what i mean - why don't audio programs do this already? surprising - i read that BitPerfect loads into memory... idk