IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

newbie to euphony.

i've burned the trial to usb and loaded the system, next step is to register the trial.

my baseline is audio-linux in ramroot, hqplayer embedded (no upsampling/filter/dither, pcm only) streaming to an opticalRendu/NAA.

(i have less than zero interest in roon)

now i don't know how to set this puppy up.

how do i configure euphony so that

1.  runs hqplayer embedded

2.  streams to opticalRendu/NAA

3.  has no roon

thanks

3 hours ago, cat6man said:

newbie to euphony.

i've burned the trial to usb and loaded the system, next step is to register the trial.

my baseline is audio-linux in ramroot, hqplayer embedded (no upsampling/filter/dither, pcm only) streaming to an opticalRendu/NAA.

(i have less than zero interest in roon)

now i don't know how to set this puppy up.

how do i configure euphony so that

1.  runs hqplayer embedded

2.  streams to opticalRendu/NAA

3.  has no roon

thanks

futzed around with trial and error and eventually got it to play in trial registration mode.

however, when i put it into ramroot, i lose the ability to play music on my attached usb drive (sda1).

sda1 shows up as a 7TB drive but apparently is not loaded for music purposes.

what am i missing?

next step is to compare with audiolinux

1.  is the consensus that the connected usb drive will not be visible in ramroot mode?

2.  if so, it seems ramroot is not very useful except for streaming services?

3.  does ramroot sound better than running off the usb stick?  for streaming?  for stored music?

1 hour ago, TheAttorney said:

As I haven't spotted any other answers to this, I can provide a partial answer based on my particular setup, which is internal Optane boot drive, USB thumb drive for local music files, and no streaming services:

Ramroot, in its default mode (library stays on the boot drive), plays local music files with no loss of functionality compared to non-Ramroot. It plays music in exactly the same way. The only consideration is that you need to hit the "save fs to disc" button if you want to make permanent system changes, such as core isolation settings - otherwise those system changes will be reverted on next boot.

I think Ramroot gave a very worthwhile SQ boost compared to Optane drive, so the improvement over USB drive should be even greater.

thanks for the reply.

i still can't figure out how to play music in ramroot with my setup though.

if i copy a few songs to the usb stick, then enter ramroot, will those songs be available to play?

not being able to be in ramroot and see an attached HDD seems very odd to me, so maybe i'm missing something?  maybe it's a trial limitation?

edit:  found a euphony music directory on the usb drive, so i copied some test tracks over, deleted my HDD as a music library, entered ramroot and think i'll be able to play the test tracks in ramroot..............test round 2 about to start............doesn't solve problem of not seeing HDD but at least i may be able to update my SQ comparisons

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

A long time has passed since I was in trial mode, so I honestly don't know. As others have mentioned, have you raised a support ticket?

Also, the current build is 20200430, not sure why your trial version is so out of date. 

thanks.

but i don't see that.  the version i have now is the latest linux download on the trial download page

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Actually now I remember: there was no ramroot mode when I trialed Euphony. It only got added due to our pestering Željko to do it!

I also have not experimented with music on removable media, nor with HQPlayer and/or NAA, so I'll let others speak to that. For me, Euphony OS really shines when using:

• Stylus player
    • with caching, and buffer queue to RAM
  • RAMroot boot mode
  • CPU isolation flags tuned
  • Max frequency empirically tuned to the boundary of harshness. This varies with quality of the PSU.

thanks!

it looks like i can run ramroot in trial mode and by copying music onto usb drive before enabling ramroot, i can get to some test tracks.........definitely an improvement over usb stick -------- but different from audiolinux v1.4

i can play with the max frequency but have no idea how to tune cpu isolation flags....any pointers?

and another point of potential difference?  are you all running euphony as a server only or also as an endpoint?

41 minutes ago, dminches said:

I am running Euphony/Stylus in a single PC setup.  My DAC is connected directly to the server.

so my results should be taken with a grain of salt for those with a single box solution.

i'm only comparing the server portion networked to a separate NAA.

as suggested by another, i'll move comparison to audio-linux/euphony shootout thread.

• 1 month later...

this could just be cockpit problems here (not unheard of) but i'd appreciate any help.

i'm trying to run euphony/stylus on my 7i7NUC.

after a couple of mis-steps on my part, i got it to find my DAC and play music.

however, it does not seem to be able to handle my 6TB music library, which is on an external HDD attached to the NUC.  it gets part of the way though, then seems to hang around 22k/96k items.  it also slows to a crawl and goes in and out of being connected the remote login (presumably due to being hung up on music library).

i'm running off of a 16G usb stick and want to get things running before moving to ramroot operation.

so, a few questions:

1.  any help for the library issue?

2.  once the library is loaded, is there a way to navigate the music directory directly?

thanks

8 hours ago, walloon said:

My library is "only" 2TB but I had the same issue when I tested Euphony/Stylus on a 16gb USB stick. I then moved to a 64gb stick and all went well.

thanks, i've ordered 128gb usb sticks that should be here tomorrow.

in the meantime, i've removed by HDD drive and replaced it with a 16gb usb stick holding the tracks i most utilize for SQ evaluation.  this way, i can at least begin to make SQ evaluations.

i've also entered expert options and set:

1.  ramroot enabled

2.  set the buffer to 2GB (i've got 8GB of NUC ram, and zram shows 2.4GB free)

any recommendations for any of the other expert parameters (e.g. cpu isolation)?

lastly, if i need a bigger usb stick to load my HDD library, will that become a problem when i want to run ramroot with my full 6TB music library?

15 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

Any reason why u limit Buffer to 2 GB Ram only? Rather than default, which I think is to 50% of entire RAM

i picked 2GB because that was what zram showed was free.

if i can go beyond that without problem, i shall.

also, are you saying that leaving that entry blank is using 1/2 of the ram (or 4GB) by default?