IGNORED

DeltaWave null-testing audio comparator (beta)

• 2 months later...

Digging into this program a bit more examining the effect various programs have on output file following conversion into another lossless formats.  As such I was revisiting this thread for helpful hints.  The above quote got a good laugh after realizing the impressive extent to which this program can detect changes.

• 3 weeks later...

Would the as yet unrealized potential target mp3 audiophiles still holding true to their core x86 principles and hardware?  I foresee 10th gen lossy format tests and other hilarity.  :P

I did just try installing DW on an older laptop with 3GB RAM running W10.  After double checking the PKAudio folder installs itself in Program Files (x86) on a 64 bit system.  Predictable results.  

I won't adamantly say mp3 comparison is useless.  In fact it might be educational for some who come across this program (no idea how large your download numbers have been above those active here).  Late night, early morning, I was amused at the idea of x86 version being so crippled it could only be usable with lower bit rate lossy files.  Certainly didn't expect any movement in this direction, but I do appreciate the willingness to accept any and all suggestions.  It must have been easy to add at least.  

Installed 32 bit DW and it opened without error.  Suspect loading files would have took more time than I wish to devote right now.  

• 1 month later...

As someone without a lifetime devoted to technical side of audio.  It has been illustrative seeing where and how changes are effected across the versions.  

One thing I've had in the back of my mind is how delta playback could be (already has been) improved.  Having established amateur interest and appreciation of your efforts not being ruined by feature additions.  What limitations are placed on hearing the delta by program operations/amplification?

Thanks

That much I was clear on.  However, playing file A or file B inside DW the player itself does not treat the ears to an experience similar to using ASIO in a dedicated player program.  Don't expect lab equipment to sing angelically.  I do wonder if the sound signature serves a very utilitarian purpose and if that was defined by the levels at which delta noise is exhumed from. 

Merely as a talking point since this aspect has not been visited in a few months.:)

• 1 month later...

Came across a small anomaly in playing back a bit perfect match between tracks on an original and a reissue.  DW failed to play the end of a note/hall effect as the track comes in on only one file.  After a bit of looking deeper for measured differences and cycling playback devices.  Loaded them into a player program and sure enough all was as it should be in both.

It appears to me this little catch happens when restarting after a click and drag on some files as well.  RAM and system issues were both examined without anything appearing out of place. (I rarely do listening comparisons.  Only hope is to refine a sometimes handy feature.)

Just to make sure.  I ran through the four channel options.  Regardless of setting it takes a few consecutive play pause attempts in quick order before it finds all but a hair on the leading edge.  However, if at that point you wait roughly three seconds before starting playback it loses place again.  

It is a third order feature with a very minor tendency towards complacency in only a rare few situations.  Definitely more observation than reporting a flaw.

That was the second time I've made a comment about playback capability.  Not sure if I've managed to track down definitively what my ears keep catching on.  This morning I did eliminate an older external USB 2.0 HDD case from use in playback.  :$

On your end this seems to establish a sensitive device meeting a more sensitive piece of software.  After looping the same 1.5 second opening a few hundred times in the last few minutes (in DW) across 4 SATA connected drive types.  No fault, other than being a fraction of a second imprecise upon starting playback, in DW differentiated itself, if it does exist.  

Apologies if my discovery process was disruptive to your late evening.  Or less fun than someone tripping you up with test tones/x86/theory/actual bugs.

• 1 month later...

@pkane2001 How many keyboard shortcuts are there for this program?  For us dumkoffs that use it for actual musical comparisons and probably a few interested in the direction it is currently headed.  :)

Since your payoff here is feedback.  When you consider taking this market I wonder if you will be able to wrap up all the progressive thinking being applied back into a simple format.  I really like the idea of being able to overlay/hide items that don't require (or possible do) graphing by some unintrusive means. 

Very politely I would like to add I feel the addition of additional charts requiring arrowing was a small step backwards in design.  Perhaps assignable charts is an option that would for instance allow hiding spectogram on bit perfect files to make room for a specific chart or three on the far end.  You've done an admirable job of fighting clutter in the options panel and in the main program up until scrolling was introduced, IMO.  Just a thought I hope doesn't cause you (much) grief.

• 1 year later...