IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

Hi, 

This is my first post here, it's great reading the discussions.

I've been using Audirvana for several years, and d/l vers. 3.5.9 the day it was released. Love the sound. While I really like the new look overall - and great mini player view - I want to point out a couple of things, including a consistent CRASH.

My system: 2010 mac mini, 2.4ghz, maxed w 16GB memory, running El Cap. Audirvana setup is simple, using built-in output direct to my receiver, no DAC. I do not use Itunes integration or Tidal, nor do I use playlists. I use album view, separated by genres. My library is on an external hdd, using usb 2.0. Here are the issues:

1. Tagging crashes: I don't do much tagging in Audirvana (usually use Meta tagger), but I noticed some things were not tagged correctly (Genre and/or Grouping), and every time I try to change a tag, Audirvana ends up 1) hanging when I hit the back button to return to the library view, so I have to force quit, or 2) it crashes on it's own.  I saved the latest Apple crash report, not sure how to get it to Damien if interested.

2. Dragging & dropping music to the queue: When I already have music in the queue and I want to drag an album in manually (maybe about 10-20% of the time), I cannot drag it to the end of the queue. It can only be placed in the penultimate position, then the last song of the original album in the queue ends up at the bottom, and i have to drag it back up. See photo below, the last Blakey song gets pushed down by the just-added Coltrane album. This is because there is no "empty row" at the bottom of the queue to place the new music. Interestingly, it works fine if I just drag the new album into the dock icon. 

3: Expand All /Collapse All: I mostly browse through my collection by genre, some of which are pretty big. As soon as i scroll down, the Expand All / Collapse All buttons disappear. It takes a good amount of scrolling to get back up to find the Collapse All button. Couldn't these buttons be put in a permanently viewable spot like in version 3.2? Maybe next to the "filters" button for example? It would be much more efficient.

Also, I think a general "Library" view button would be great addition too. Am I the only one who gets lost between all fwd & back button views? 

Anyhow, thanks to Damien for all the hard work.

179004452_Audirvanawindow.thumb.jpg.fcb266b8238ee695213f6d310f004091.jpg

11 hours ago, steveoat said:

Am I the only one who finds editing metadata much much more difficult in 3.5 than in earlier versions?

I'm with you stevecoat. The new layout and tagging systems, is more complicated. I miss the "Show Artist List" in 3.2 where I could change a misplaced/misspelled artist pretty quickly. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's the problem with library systems in these advanced music apps. They look great, but there's always too much time spent on tagging, organizing and dealing with synching issues. I spent way more time listening and less time fixing in my Decibel & Cog days (and yes, Audirvana sounds better than those, but still...) 

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2019 at 9:39 PM, Russell_L said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, or if it’s even an issue for others, but scrolling in the main library window is not smooth at all, with lots of delays and hesitations as the window refreshes with all the album covers. This has been an issue for me with all iterations of 3.5 (and not a problem with 3.2.x). Now admittedly I’m using an oldish laptop (early-2011 MBP, High Sierra) but the scrolling should be smoother than this, I think.

Otherwise, I’m pretty satisfied with 3.5!

Same here, 3.5 looks great, but it's pretty slow in displaying the album covers when scrolling. I'm running El Cap.