IGNORED

New OSX Opensource audiophile player : Audirvana

damien78

When I compiled it (from yesterday's svn), I got a lot of warnings saying that there were implicit conversions that resulted in some variables getting 32-bit instead of 64-bit namespaces.

If you link to static libs, you have to upgrade every time there is a bug-fix in one of those libs. Wouldn't it be advantageous to link dynamic libs?

Also, if you want it to be a fink package, I could do that (I might need a bit of help at some point).

"wgscott: can you check the available mem you have when playing and encountering the dropouts?"

I can't give you a more quantitative estimate until this evening, but Menu Meters displays about 450 to 500 MB free memory while playing, and usually about 1500MB when it deallocates. There is lots of swapping and page-outs, from what I recall.

-- Bill

Haven't heard dropouts, but it just flat-out refused to play a 24/48 Mahler download I just got from B&W that is about 28 min long. File size is 285 MB (FLAC converted to ALAC so maybe uncompressed it is too big?). I hate Mahler so I guess this is an asset/feature rather than a bug. ;)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/afplay

"Hope this makes sense. Maybe someone else can elaborate more ;-)"

err ... unless someone else did the same thing, that was moi.

I cobbled together a shell script/osascript that essentially hijacks iTunes, resets the sampling frequency to match the track, and then plays it in aflay (with -q 1).

So it definitely works. I have a tin ear, apparently. I can't tell if it is better or worse, and have no idea whether afplay at the max quality setting is bit-perfect.

Here is a link to the description and download if anyone wants to give it a listen: http://sage.ucsc.edu/~wgscott/xtal/wiki/index.php/Nyquist

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, I said it first ;)

But what would be great is if the binary executable could accept the file path as a command-line argument, like standard unix players (and afplay). Then it would be possible, via applescript (already written), to use this as the player engine within iTunes, shoudl a user wish to do so. Also, it could be used with any wrapper that way.

This is just feedback, not complaining ...

1. Loading playlists: Dragging and dropping a playlist (m3u) for some reason results in only a subset of the tracks loading. Maybe a multibyte character problem?

2. I've also recently noticed that the higher frequencies seem somehow muffled compared to iTunes and Ayreware playback, especially noticeable with Beethoven's Appassionata.

My webserver seems to be down, so I'm just attaching a zipped file. I should clarify that I made this by exporting an iTunes playlist, and I have no particular love for m3u vs. m3u8. The characters display correctly in TextMate, but if I more the file, I see this kind of thing:

_PatheÌtique_

iTunes also puts in Mac OS 9 style line endings.

• 1 month later...

One very nice feature in Decibel (and Play) is that it is apple-scriptible, so you can use an iTunes script, assign it a hot-key (I use ?R), and it auto-loads everything selected into the Decibel temporary playlist window.

It would be great to have that ability with audirvana...

As a cheesy proof of principle, I hacked together an Applescript-based trick that allows me to hijack Apple's remote to select and play an album, playlist, or whatever using Audirvana. It's current limitation is that it only loads up the Audirvana playlist window and starts it playing. I have no further control except to add additional items to the end of the playlist. But at least it gives me some remote control over Audirvana while using the iTunes-based interface with its album art, which for me, is important as I need the visual cues. I can then use the Apple Remote Control device to play/pause and so on.

I realize this is half-assed, but if anyone wants it, let me know and I will upload it.

Sorry. Spoke too soon. Same problem here. Also, it is slowed down because it wrongly sets the sampling frequency (my 44.1 is 32) when integer mode is turned on (which was the default). Manually setting Audio MIDI to 24 bit instead of 32 bit seems to have fixed the problem.