IGNORED

Power cables, distribution strips, current taps and outlets

Hi Johnseye,

I personally do not like those 3 to 1 adapters for two reasons:

1) you never know what is inside one unless you buy two and destroy one so you can see what is inside

2) when you plug and unplug cords in you are producing highly unbalanced forces on the outlet this thing is plugged into. This can be very bad for the outlet. I have seen these destroy an outlet.

For number 2 you can theoretically plug all three cords in before plugging the whole thing into the wall, but I still think you wind up putting a lot of stress on that one outlet.

I personally think that your best bet is to have the electrician put in the quad outlet.

Other options are as has been mentioned using a good power strip. There is a whole range here. I personally do not like the ones with all the surge suppressors and filters etc, I find they harm the sound more than they help.

I really like the Tripp Lite ones with the aluminum housing, such as the PS120410. This is just a straight simple power strip, they are built well and work well.

Another option is the VH Audio Hot Box, it is a an electrical box with 4 good outlets and a power cord, no switch etc. It works very well but costs $250 so not cheap, but if it is cheaper than the electrician than it might be a good way to go. It is probably a little better than the Tripp Lite above for 5 X the price.

John S.