IGNORED

I'd like to expand my musical horizon - what is out there today with more than 3 chords?

On 2/23/2019 at 12:06 PM, Musicophile said:

As many here know, I'm very much into classical music and Jazz. The occasional non-Jazz exception is weird stuff like early 1970s Genesis. 

That said, on a transatlantic flight this weekend I had the opportunity to watch Bohemian Rhapsody, which is overall really a quite decent movie.

I hadn't actively listened to Queen for a long time, and while the movie went through all the greatest hits, I noticed how great Queen were to combine melodies that an entire Wembley stadium could easily chant, with harmonic, and often even rhythmic complexity, that clearly goes beyond your typical 3 chord classical rock song. 

I was about to think "why don't they make this kind of music any more" (I'm getting older), but then I thought, that just can't be.

With today's music making facilities where everybody can have a professional level music studio on their laptop for very little money, and the possibility to become an overnight success thanks to Youtube et al., we should be in better times than ever for musical creation.

So, I'd like to ask the community here to point me to contemporary music I should be checking out:

Here's my criteria:

- More than 3 chords, ideally harmonic progressions you haven't heard a gazillion times before (3 chord music bores me, two chords music should be reserved for non-violent torture)

- However, I'm also a sucker for melodies, when stuff gets to weird, I switch off quickly

The combination of the above is rarely achieved, which makes it so interesting. 

And finally, I'm open for any genre, but should be outside Jazz or classical music.

Very much looking forward to your input!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/16/arts/music/kendrick-lamar-pulitzer-prize-damn.html

See the comments by the other finalists (so called "art" or "classical" composers) for the Pulitzer Prize, about the winner, Kendrick Lamar's "Damn".

It's not my cup of tea, but it has all sorts of complexity. Many of us just can't hear it because our brains aren't open to the format. That may be part of the issue of "why don't they make music like this anymore".

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

6 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I’ve seen all the praise for Lamar, and really tried. I just don’t get it. 

I'm pretty much in the same place. Just thought it should be noted that his "art music" competitors thought he was thoroughly deserving of the prize.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)