IGNORED

I'd like to expand my musical horizon - what is out there today with more than 3 chords?

2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Love Tom Waits, especially Swordfishtrombones. Can’t Listen to it too regularly, but every once in a while, with a mandatory glass of bourbon.  

Heart Attack and Vine has always been a fave of mine.  As far as “new” rock...meh.  Have your heard any of the Tedeschi-Trucks stuff?  Their new one is very good, as well as previous efforts.

10 hours ago, sockpit said:

Contemporary bluegrass/americana a la Chris Thiele, the Punch Brothers

I got to see the Punch Brothers when they opened for Paul Simon a couple years ago.   As good as the SQ of their recordings is, the dynamics of them live was unbelievable.   I hadn’t heard them before so was quite pleasantly surprised.

On 2/25/2019 at 1:45 PM, Musicophile said:

That said, I appreciate that musically they indeed seem to be more ambitious than your average hard rock album.

They all attended the Berklee College of Music in Boston in the early 80s. Yeah, these guys are now in their 40s!  I lived on the North Shore at the time and a good friend was in the program at Berklee.  We used to go listen to them in the rehearsal room.  They are definitely skilled, talented, trained musicians.  Not my type of music anymore, either.  

@Musicophile  Did we give you the Ry Cooder, John Hiatt, etc. hard sell yet?  I saw Sonny Landreth play with John Hiatt - and can second @BrokeLinuxPhile in saying that he is worth checking out.  

If you want something a little mellower try Jack Johnson.  Refreshingly simple, but great songs and great hooks.

A friend turned me on to this Brit band a few years ago, Big Big Train.  I like a lot of their stuff, but I understand the songs may mean more if you are a Brit.  The album English Electric has a number of great cuts alone.  This is the title track from a more recent album from 2016.

https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/album/folklore

And now for something completely different.  Not sure what to say about this outfit... it’s been called glitz/glitch/swing.  The guy puts together some good musicians and showcases female singers, typically in a 50s swing groove.  It’s defintiel one of a kind (I think).  Scott Bradlee’s Postmodern Jukebox.  This one is a cover of a recent popular song.  Personal taste for sure whether or not one will like it.