IGNORED

USB DAC 5V handshake

semente

9 hours ago, semente said:

As a non-native I may have expressed myself poorly but I am doing exactly what you describe: the Cubox into the female type-B socket provides data only, the L-PSU via leg with type-A plug provides power only.

My DAC has a proper inbuilt PSU (and no provision for using an external one) but needs the 5V to work. It is not powered by the USB 5V line.

I used to have two L-PSUs but sold one as a bundle with my R-Pi and HiFi Berry DAC.

This Audiophonics PSU is out of stock at the moment so I asked if it would be possible to use my only L-PSU to both power the Cubox and to perform the handshake. I've tried it and it appears to work normaly without any downsides.

Why should I use a cable? I could use a USB cable but the short adapter lets me fit the Cubox tidily behind the DAC. And cables should be as short as possible anyway.

I've also powered the CuBox with a battery - 24,000 mAh would go for days or weeks IIRC.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.