IGNORED

Suggestions for a low-cost DAC?

I'm in the same boat. Of all said, I'm surprised no one had mentioned the ifi Nano 1 for 199.00. Which adds MQA to the mix..dsd and Bluetooth. I'm a big Schiit fan, have owned many products currently own the Saga preamp., Had a modi 2 Uber...  I sold my V90 this week. I'm listening through a Audioquest DF black. Tidal in HiFi mode and Masters. MQA Is very good!! For 199.00. I can't seem to find anything that can touch it  Through Modi Multi bit for 249.00. Is a very close consideration!  But no MQA. That's the deal breaker for me. It will probably sound better than the new Nano but overall ifi is s much better value and no slouch in performance.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, I have not bought anything since I returned the NANO 1. I am either going to get a Project S2 box Dac/ pre amp, or a Cambridge DAC magic plus.  In no order, I may replace my pre amp which I sold yesterday ( SCHIIT SAGA )  with an integrated amp and buy the D50 and call it a day. I have a LIMM LK 140 I have been using I am going to list today.

So it's   dac/pre and now amp  OR   D50 and integrated.

Since I am new to forums and this side of the hobby, I am learning much. Thank you for the link. I have read it. I am a newbie to ASR. I am not a newbie to music and listening. There is music, LIVE music which I am very keen too, as I am a professional musician, ( trumpet player since age 13 ) I am 66. I am a band leader, I travel the world playing live music. I play in brass bands, orchestra' and I lead and conduct an 18 Jazz band. I do state all this to Gloat" or throw weight around.  LOL   The "disconnect" here is; I am as a hobbyist, and a CHEAP hobbyist who does NOT have a big bank account to buy any number of pieces of audio equipment, I must read as much as I can, but what I can, when I can and then listen for myself. It's a jaded existence for sure.

I just sold a M.F V90. It was good I owned it 3 years. I guess I just want to hear something else. SOOOOO,,,what is a slob like me to do? Read and troll the forums and see who is saying what and make my best "deduction" and go from there.

I need to get a new dac. I appreciate the candor and great  attitude shown here. You have helped me much today. I will take ASR and other's with a grain of salt.

These are the pieces I can afford and I am looking at. I welcome any pieces I may be missing. As far as listening and enjoying music, in general I am looking to my system to recreate as much detail and true to life Timber of each instrument as my budget allows.

Topping D50

Cambridge DAC Magic Pro

Project Box S2  dac/pre amp

One thing to note, I do not need my next DAC to drive head phones. Do you believe the D50 to be the best under 400?

2. My high interest in the Project is that is unfoldes MQA yeah...I know, a devil's maze. Still I use Tidal and I have a DF BLACK and MQA sounds pretty darn good. 

If the S2 is musical I will be happy and stop the hunt. I like the idea of a DAC PRE amp driving right to a power amp. I'm a minalist at heart. 

Left channel, I LOVE your post and it's the best I have read! You are 100% correct on the chip. I do not claim to be an expert in this, as I have stated I am a musician I have huge ears and a budget pocket book. You may be very well 100% correct, I seem to be focusing on the "wrong" part of the chain? Splitting hairs on the dac? You feel resolving power lies more with the amp? Hummm, very interesting. Maybe a better higher quality power amp is where I should be putting my $$$ in?

With this said, the S2D may very well serve me well. I like the idea of no pre amp so to speak, I'd like a remote, BT would be nice, having MQA is icing on the cake. The DAC magic has all that minus the MQA, which some feel is over rated and for them is not a deal breaker.

Are you familiar with the Topping DX3 PRO? It's a loaded piece that uses the AK chips. I will agree with you, I will steer clear of the Sabre chip opting for a warmer more musical sound. From the web:

Topping’s DX3 Pro has a long list of excellent specifications, and at the top are the highly regarded XMOS XU208 USB chip with dual AK4493 DACs and an OPA1612 opamp. This combination allows the DAC/amp to drive headphones with great accuracy and power: an impressive 1,000 mW from the eighth-inch jack on the front panel. The unit is quite versatile, too, accepting input via USB, optical, coaxial, and Bluetooth, the last of which supports SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX II, and aptX HD protocols. Looking to pair the DX3 Pro with an even more powerful headphone amp? It can operate as a DAC via its RCA output.

When I was selling hi-end audio from 91 to 97, I learned that women have better high frequency hearing, it's genetic and many an audiophile would bring their wives/ girlfriends in to help with feedback on speakers especially. Men genetically are more attuned to lower frequencies. 

The MODI 3 has the AK chips and investing to 249.00 gets me the Multi-bit which as we go around the sun with this, is now a consideration? NO remote,  nop pre amp ability but covers the DAC aspect and I can stop messing with it LOL.

The DAC Magic with Twin Wolfson is very compelling. There is a local Cambridge dealer, maybe I should borrow one if they offer and try it in my system.  Thank you so much.  AND or, by an S2D with a return policy and check it out.

Nice follow up...if I had 1300.00. I would probably buy the Rogue Sphnix...

2. Have you read or heard anything on CLASD D amplifiers?  Strong reviews from clients.   I have a Linn lk140 at the moment..pretty musical amp. I just sold a Schiit Saga pre amp..and M.F. V90 DAC I'm looking at a DAC pre amp. Or DAC   and pre amp. Or selling Linn for an integrated amp.  I had and sold an NAD 326bee..I may want to get another one..I did enjoy that piece and it sounded very good. 2nd choice is Yamaha SL 501. 

36 minutes ago, Shangri-La said:

Why did you sell your MF V90? It's very well reviewed and measured. Not sure if you can gain anything by going with D50 etc, especially if the rest of your system is not that revealing.

SOLD it to find something else. One of those decisions...LOL .

Great Post. I fired up JRiver and upgraded my version from 22 to 25. I am using a hard drive with 1k tunes and it sounds very good through the DF Black. I forgot how Jriver can do room correction and sound enhancements.

I will put Dac Magic Plus aside, great feedback on that! I have been leaning to the D50 as the best of the bunch. I will just have to get a pre amp, instead of a DAC/Pre. I am using a Schiit SYS and for a passive, it's very good. I found a Proton 1100  pre amp in my museum and I'm going to throw it into the rack for an "active" pre amp and see what happens. My last ditch effort at a dac / pre could be Project S2D? I will keep looking into DAC/Pre's before I settle on the D50.

TAZ777, GEE  I must have missed that completely, * about running it as a Pre amp out, this is exactly what I need. I have a Schiit SYS between the AQ DF Black for volume control, come to think about this again, I can run the volume with the PC volume control, which would control the "output" of the DF Black LOL, I'm just not thinking these days, I'm running the output at max, then using the SYS to control volume. Today I will remove the and another set of cables. Looks like I will NOT find anything that will match the D50 in the sound dept. I will to other devices for BlueTooth and Keep the Black for MQA when I want too. I need a dac to replace the V90 for my CD player.

TAZ, and all thank you so MUCH for your conversation and comments. I was getting very close to buying a Project S2D  399.00 and its pretty loaded. 

Would go for the Dx3pro, but you felt it was too polite etc..and you ordered another D50...I hear you on that. Inmay have lost this somewhere.. could you please recommend a linear power supply... and the LAST product that is heavy on my mind is the Project S2D..which would give me everything the volume control and MQA which I am willing to give that up but functions as a pre amp....and Bluetooth...also don't know if I got your comments on this particular piece but anybody would please like to make some comments between theD2D and the D50 would be very much appreciated.

The ability to be a pre amp with a remote is tipping the scales in that direction. Another thought, instead of a linear power supply I was thinking about using one if those cell phone charging power banks. Project makes one and says it really adds to ever cleaner sound due to no AC mains pollution. Theirs is around 200.00.  It's 2600 rating.   Maybe I'll contact their support and ask.

Taz do you have a suggestion for a linear power supply under 100.00. I looked at Amazon.  The nobsound is unavailable at this time.  There are a few on eBay.  The cell power bank was the outcome of my thoughts.

Absolute Sound in January issue reviewed the S2D and really liked it. That's a plus one. thank you

I may be beating this time hard into the ground. I have a Schiit WRYD which will power any down stream USB component better than just the PC USB port for sure. And it removes some nose. Some may say not, I've listened with and without and it's better with 

I'll contact Support and confirm it will auto switch. Why would they make their own battery supply if it did not? 

I could also try a cell phone charger to see what that does.

Haven't gotten one yet. It's on the list to do. Thank you you all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am enjoying this thread very much. Everyday we run across more information or read something. Does anyone have a SMSL  su-8 vs? I see good reviews on it. I like that it has a remote, so I can run it right into my power amp. The top contender for me so far is the Project S2D. The Topping D50 is right there too.