IGNORED

Article: Roon Vs. JRiver | Clash of the Titans

9 hours ago, bluesman said:

Yes, I saw your post and the responses.  But here's a link to my Roon source which says: "Due to hardware limitations, Chromecast devices can not be grouped with other, non-Chromecast devices outside of the Google Home app".  I haven't tried it because we don't use Google Home, so I can't confirm that it's correct.  But it is in the Roon knowledge base, so I assume(d) it was good information - and maybe it is.  I'll try to find out.

The information is correct - but it's open to misinterpretation because of the way it is worded.

Roon cannot group together Chromecast audio devices within Roon - Chromecast audio devices can only be grouped together by using Google Home. However, while Roon supports Zone Grouping, or synchronizing audio playback in several zones within your house, zones can only be grouped with other zones of the same type, meaning Squeezebox zones cannot be grouped with RAAT zones, Meridian zones can't be grouped with Airplay zones, etc. And a group of Chromecast Audio devices cannot be grouped with zones that use non-Chromecast technology... See this entry in the Roon Knowledge Base on zones for full information.

1 hour ago, bluesman said:

So I have absolutely no idea what the statement in the Roon knowledge base means about grouping Chromecasts with other devices in GHome. 

I'd also already been to that RKB page on zones.  Strangely enough, despite its most recent updating on Wed May 2, 2018, it makes no mention at all of Chromecast.  This strikes me as a serious oversight, given both the popularity of the devices and their fine integration into Roon. 

The older I get, the more I find out how little I know. 

As I say, that statement is open to misinterpretation. It all depends on how you parse it. It needs rewriting. 

Also, Chromecast support was added in July 2018, so since the Zones page was last updated in May, it naturally wouldn't have any mention of Chromecast support in Zones. Hopefully, one of the Roon community volunteers (e.g. me) will find time to update the KB pages, but there are times when I feel like the Red Queen running hard just to stand still...