IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

Thanks for the update Piero. After updating system and Kernel I can see the Kernel is now 5.6.4-3 is there a way of confirming system is 4.4.0?

Also I run a server with AL and HQP to a NUC with HQP naa, I have been unable to get internet radio to play on my system could someone advise me how to achieve this please?

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

You can try manually

su

(root password)

bash /opt/scripts/update/menu_update.sh

(it will ask for menu password)

This way you can see errors

thanks

I tried this it says 

Username/Password Authentication Failed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 7:57 AM, hifi25nl said:

You can try manually

su

(root password)

bash /opt/scripts/update/menu_update.sh

(it will ask for menu password)

This way you can see errors

Hi Piero

Trying to update to menu 34, can only get to 29.

Tried the script above - however it does not pause to let me enter password.

Version

3 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

@dctom

Go to Console mode and be sure that you don't have previous downloads in /tmp.
Eventually remove them before running the script
sudo rm -f /tmp/menu_version
sudo rm -f /tmp/almenu.tar.gz
or simply reboot first.

Now edit with file editor ROOT in SYSTEM menu the file /opt/scripts/update/menu_update.sh so that read pass is in a new line (F4 to edit, F2 to save) and update from Web Interface 2 at ipaddress:5001

Here the first corrected lines of the script:

#!/bin/bash
echo "Please type your update password
?"
read pass
cd /tmp

If you still have problems try to update from console with

Type
su
(give root password)
bash /opt/scripts/update/menu_update.sh

send me the output if you see errors

@Bricki

The size of last version 261 is only marginally bigger.

If you don't need roonserver you should remove also the configurations files and library with

sudo rm -rf /var/roon

(or use file editor root in menu)

If not enough contact me

VersionThanks

Don't seem to be able to access console mode - menu window just crashes when I click on yes.

Screen shot of   bash /opt/scripts/update/menu_update.sh

menu update.png

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, hifi25nl said:

Note that you should have AL menu updated and probably you should also re-install last HQPlayer version.

This will fix some library problem (Audiolinux is using more recent libraries...)

Thanks

Have updated system and HQplayer, still no connection with HQPclient and HQPD control.

not sure how to find subnet on the AL machine?

1 hour ago, hifi25nl said:

I would do this (from Web Interface 1 or with keyboard/monitor):

1) Stop all audio applications with the option in Audio menu, go to console with the option in Main menu or open terminal in lxqt version and type:

hqplayerd

(you can stop with CTRL + C)

Do you see errors?

2) From another PC type

ping ipaddress

where ipaddress is the ip address of AL PC

in terminal or Windows PowerShell

I don't know how old is your installation. Last versions of HQPlayer need first a full system update and after installation or re-installation from Update menu only,

No problem instead

if you have installed last version of Audiolinux.

Have updated to latest ALversion and updated HQP. 

Pinged AL PC and got reply ok. 

hqplayerd in terminal not recognized?

On 12/9/2022 at 4:10 PM, hifi25nl said:

Audiolinux V3: the revolution!

From today is available the new Audiolinux headless version V3 with the following specifications:

1) Most of applications and libraries are compiled with x86_64_v3 architecture and LTO
https://www.phoronix.com/news/Arch-Linux-x86-64-v3-Port-RFC
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/software/desktop-linux/1244867-x86_64-microarchitecture-levels-benchmarked
https://www.phoronix.com/review/clang-lto-kernel
All packages and kernels will have around 10% performance uplift and some packages can have higher performance uplift (15% or 36%!)

2) The kernel 6.0.11 is compiled with x86_64_v3 architecture, LTO FULL and many patches including Audiolinux ones

3) Audiolinux V3  will offer kernels optimized for your CPU. At this time pre-compiled kernels are available for ZEN, ZEN3, SKYLAKE, ALDERLAKE. If your CPU is not on the list you can ask support for a new optimized kernel that after will be updated regularly or you can compile the kernel automatically yourself

5) The Audiolinux V3 price is now 99$ because of the extra work involved. You can switch to the new version for 50$ if you already have an active subscription. This price is still much lower than some alternative audiophile OS… and remote support with AnyDesk is included!

6) Wonderful latency test with average delay < 1 microsecond (AMD ZEN3 5800X, Boot EXTREME2, Watchdog and Linux Journal disabled, Mitigations service enabled, ramroot, hyper-threading disabled)

T: 0 (116176) P:98 I:100 C: 600000 Min:      0 Act:    0 Avg:    0 Max:       3
T: 1 (116177) P:98 I:100 C: 600000 Min:      0 Act:    0 Avg:    0 Max:       3
T: 2 (116178) P:98 I:100 C: 600000 Min:      0 Act:    0 Avg:    0 Max:       3
T: 3 (116179) P:98 I:100 C: 600000 Min:      0 Act:    0 Avg:    0 Max:       3
T: 4 (116180) P:98 I:100 C: 600000 Min:      0 Act:    0 Avg:    0 Max:       4
T: 5 (116181) P:98 I:100 C: 600000 Min:      0 Act:    0 Avg:    0 Max:       4
T: 6 (116182) P:98 I:100 C: 600000 Min:      0 Act:    0 Avg:    0 Max:       3
T: 7 (116183) P:98 I:100 C: 600000 Min:      0 Act:    0 Avg:    0 Max:       3

6) Old versions are not discontinued. For prices and upgrade cost look at the first column of Audiolinux site

Hi Piero

I have an 8 core i7 9700K 3.6 GHz cpu, not sure if it is skylake,  would a desktop lxqt install need a custom kernel?

• 3 weeks later...

I ran an 8th gen i7 NUC, Paul Haynes LPS as an naa, with a lowish powered AL server, it sounded very good. The NUC on its own did not produce the same results.

Eventually built a more powerful single server, Core i7 9700K 3.6GHz, taiko audio ATX, etc etc, running AL. 

I don't know how current NUCs perform but from what I have read on AS, a single server with an excellent power supply is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, savingslowly said:

Yes I noticed a big difference between the JS2 LPS I run powering the NUC and the standard power supply...The standard supply was horrible! Like unlistenable....What are these Taiko Audio ATX? I've not seen them before. I only stream through Roon/HQ Player/Audiolinux so I wonder if it's worth me going to the effort/time of building a server, plus I had a custom American Walnut hifi rack built recently so I'd rather keep things with similar form factor. I did notice there is a big processing/core difference in the older and newer nucs, 4 cores vs 12 cores and 8 threads vs 16! I'm not entirely convinced this will turn into perceivable audible benefits. I might be able to run a more extreme setting of audiolinux and pick it up there, not sure. The main reason I was thinking this is because the new custom kernal setting in Audiolinux made a decent bump in quality. I can upsample to 11.2 DSD on the current gen 8 nuc no worries but it struggles to upsample to higher res PCM.

The Taiko ATX is a power supply distributor Taiko made available for DIY about out 2 years ago. I was going all out to get the best sound possible, following the  .....   A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming and Building a DIY Music Server threads. 

I have not bought AL 3 yet will do shortly.

I only upsample to 6.1 DSD at 48k currently.

On 1/12/2023 at 2:49 AM, savingslowly said:

I find it important to take all this stuff with a grain of salt. Some of the suggestions can yield big improvements AL made a big improvement for me, as did the JS2 to run my computer and HQ player on it's own was a big bump over roon, then finding the right filter for DSD upsmapling was an even bigger step. 

A few things that didn't yield results....Using an endpoint and having the server on a different machine...I'm not sure if it's because I'm already running audiolinux headless which minimises computing but I NEVER got better results running an endpoint. I tried a few different variations of the MAC min I had (with uptone LPS conversion and the gen 8 nuc in AKASA case and I never got a better sound than just feeding the NUC direct. I also think my ISO regen has become redundant after AL3 update, the computer no longer see's the dac with it in line. Having said that, I don't think I need it anymore after listening last night. I also have a Matrix Pro dac and the USB input on those is top notch (I had a Mytek liberty prior where it's services were fairly easily apparent).

AL3 was quite a big step up. I didn't buy it expecting anything, just keeping up to date with software, but the bump in performance was actually very surprising. Just running the custom kernal and standard settings it comes with, Roon server and HQ player embedded. A friend and I did a decent listening session last night and were both blown away with the improvement. It's all the detail and realism which was already very very good, has been taken to a point I haven't really heard in a system before to be honest. This leads me to my next logical step... 

Herein lies my current theory. I have the noisefloor so quiet on the system, the ambient noise in the room is more of an issue than anything the system is producing (and it's fairly quiet as it's reasonably treated). The power in my room is fairly clean, I started with about 1200 on my greenwave meter and have gotten it down to about 120 with various Alan Maher filters and Isotek powerboards I have purchased over the years. Nuc is running on a JS2 LPS as well, so cleaning power etc is deminishing returns. I'm thinking with this boost form AL custom Kernal alone the most beneficial thing I can do at this point is upgrade the NUC and potentially try isolated cores and the Red settings from the menu (although I'm struggling see where the sound could be improved from here to be honest, the new software is that good!)

I found an endpoint did improve my first low power server, however my eventual third  build, utilising a 9th gen higher power cpu, did not need an endpoint. Agreed, clean power and quality psu is essential, I have a dedicated mains supply to my system.

Installed AL V3 yesterday and can verify the improvement. Today installed the custom Kernel for my skylake cpu, this has produced a further improvement. Machine happily runs 48x256 DSD, very pleased.

The ISO file I have of Blue Train was always more detailed than the vinyl I have but sounded brighter and a little strident. This is no longer the case the ISO sounds better than the vinyl.

• 1 month later...