IGNORED

GentooPlayer

@antonellocaroli I have managed to get the wireless up and running, but there appear to be troubles with MPD and upmpdcli:

rpi6 /etc # /etc/init.d/mpd status
rpi6 /etc # /etc/init.d/mpd restart
 * Stopping mpd ...                                                                                                 [ ok ]
 * Starting mpd ...
Apr 06 18:10 : exception: bind to '0.0.0.0:6600' failed (continuing anyway, because binding to '[::]:6600' succeeded): Failed to bind socket: Address already in use                                                                          [ ok ]
rpi6 /etc # /etc/init.d/upmpdcli restart
 * Stopping upmpdcli ...                                                                                            [ ok ]
 * Starting upmpdcli ...                                                                                            [ ok ]
rpi6 /etc # less /var/log/upmpdcli.log 
rpi6 /etc # cat /var/log/upmpdcli.log 
:3:src/mediaserver/contentdirectory.cxx:180::ContentDirectory: not creating entry for gmusic because neither gmusicuser nor gmusicautostart are defined in the configuration
:3:src/mediaserver/contentdirectory.cxx:180::ContentDirectory: not creating entry for qobuz because neither qobuzuser nor qobuzautostart are defined in the configuration
:3:src/mediaserver/contentdirectory.cxx:180::ContentDirectory: not creating entry for spotify because neither spotifyuser nor spotifyautostart are defined in the configuration
:3:src/mediaserver/contentdirectory.cxx:180::ContentDirectory: not creating entry for tidal because neither tidaluser nor tidalautostart are defined in the configuration
:2:src/mediaserver/cdplugins/streamproxy.cpp:477::Aproxy: MHD_start_daemon failed

system information is

Profile:     Profile not Setting
 RamSystem:   Ramsystem not enabled
 Free memory: 888MB of total 968MB

Kernel:   4.19.97-GentooPlayer-ST+
 ───────────────────────────────────────
 GentooPlayer   | 18:14 | lun 06/04/2020 
 v2.12      | Raspberry Pi 3B/3B+ (aarch64)
 wlan0       | 192.168.42.1

Players Info:
Squeezelite-R2          [Disabled]
Squeezelite             [Disabled]
Networkaudiod           [Disabled]
LigitechMediaServer     [Disabled]
BubbleUpnp              [Disabled]
HQPlayer Embedded       [Disabled]
Mpd                     [Enabled]
UpMpdCli                [Enabled]
RoonBridge              [Disabled]
RoonServer              [Disabled]
Mpd-Sima                [Disabled]
MYmpd                   [Disabled]
minimserver             [Disabled]
shairport-sync          [Disabled]

*** Scanning for playback devices ***
Card 0, ID `sndallodigione', name `snd_allo_digione'
  Device 0, ID `Allo DigiOne HiFi wm8804-spdif-0', name `Allo DigiOne HiFi wm8804-spdif-0', 1 subdevices (1 available)
    2 channels, sampling rate 32000..192000 Hz
    Sample formats: S16_LE, S24_LE
    Buffer size range from 64 to 131072
    Period size range from 32 to 65536

Subdevice 0, name `subdevice #0'

AUDIO CARDS
CARD    TYPE            ADDRESS            NAME
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    card0    Internal Audio card    card0 --> --         Allo DigiOne HiFi
card0    STATUS  --> closed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filesystem     Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root      ext4       14G  3.3G   11G  25% /
devtmpfs       devtmpfs   10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs          tmpfs      97M  304K   97M   1% /run
cgroup_root    tmpfs      10M     0   10M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
shm            tmpfs     485M     0  485M   0% /dev/shm

[  OK  ] Root access verified.

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────
 Gentooplayer CPU Info
 Use cpu-governor to change CPU / performance options
 Architecture |     aarch64
 Temp         |     50'c : 122'f  | Running warm, but safe.
 Governor     |     performance

Current Freq    Min Freq   Max Freq
 CPU0         |      1000 MHz      1000 MHz    1000 MHz
 CPU1         |      1000 MHz      1000 MHz    1000 MHz
 CPU2         |      1000 MHz      1000 MHz    1000 MHz
 CPU3         |      1000 MHz      1000 MHz    1000 MHz

[ INFO ] GentooPlayer-CPU_info | CPU current frequency, may be affected by this script, due to the processing required to run it.
 - if the temperature is not displayed, first run the command: sensors-detect --auto

Any idea? Thanks, nbpf

Just now, antonellocaroli said:

What was the problem with the wifi?

192.168.42.1  is adresse for hotspot......?

This is the strange thing: I can see in my router that the device has an IP address (192.168.178.32) and I can ping and ssh to it

nicola@cirrus:~$ ping 192.168.178.32
PING 192.168.178.32 (192.168.178.32) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.178.32: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=2.48 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.178.32: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=3.88 ms
nicola@cirrus:~$ ssh [email protected]
Password:
4.19.97-GentooPlayer-ST+
 GentooPlayer   | 18:31 | lun 06/04/2020 
 wlan0       | 192.168.42.1
 HomePage: www.gentooplayer.com
 ────────────────────────────────────────────
 home Return to this screen
 cpu-info View information about the CPU
 system-commands Displays the list of COMMANDS related to the system and RT
 players-commands View the list of COMMANDS related to the players/servers
 selectprofile Select the settings profile
 selectkernel Allows the choice between RT and non-RT kernels, and various configurations
 kernelupsw Update or change kernel version
 ramsystem Copying system to RAM
 gp-update Update Overlay and Script (execute this command from time to time)
 gp-menu Menu Viewer
rpi6 ~ #

but

rpi6 ~ # ifconfig wlan0
wlan0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.42.1  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.42.255
        inet6 2003:da:a70f:c900:6d22:7dd:db7b:a8a8  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x0<global>
        inet6 fe80::8b21:b3a8:6523:b9f8  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether b8:27:eb:de:9a:05  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 14987  bytes 4912791 (4.6 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 7  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 9370  bytes 1581778 (1.5 MiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

1 minute ago, Aberrant-Decoder said:

Is there a gentoplayer wiki?

is there a simple guide to configuring the player to just run mpd and ethernet and then flip to ram mode.

i player around today and had it working, but I’m just hoping there is a more definitive guide to choosing the appropriate kernel etc.

my main aim is improved sq than AL which I was happy with.

Strange questions: to run MPD, just enable MPD in the web interface. Similarly for running the system in RAM. What do you mean by "appropriate"? What sounds better might depend on your system and ... on your ears!

12 hours ago, Aberrant-Decoder said:

Thanks for replying, I see of course the options are there and used them but am still also a bit confused. When I went to run ram mode it’s preselections has more players then I needed for example.

and I have no idea which kernels to choose or how an outsider could possibly know which to choose for whatever reason 🙂

I also have a terrible habit of wasting loads of time lol, so that’s why I’m trying to find a source of educational knowledge on the product, and I’ve just read the 50 pages of the thread.

(ps i had been using a direct session via putty onto gento player, i now see the web interface is much more friendly for me)

Could anyone suggest to me the correct way to achieve the following.  I have an external usb drive (seagate), it has a folder on it called 'music'.   I therefore need to mount just that folder into the media/music folder.

I want to run in rammode, so dont want to fall foul of 1tb of music being loaded into ram.

I know previously, I would mount the seagate disk, using fstab, then mount again from that mount into the media/music folder.

It is great that Antonello is offering different kernel and ramdisk options for those who like experimenting. If many users do so and report their observations in a reasonably precise and comparable way, this might even lead to new findings and eventually improved defaults.

But, to tell you the truth, I am personally not very interested in trying out all meaningful combinations and my experiences so far (both with own Raspbian based systems with and without RP kernels and, more recently, with GenTooPlayer) suggest that the differences are, if any and in my system and with my ears, negligible. The same holds for streaming (over wired or wireless) from another RPi running MinimServer as compared to streaming from a local drive and with MinimServer running on the same machine that also runs upmpdcli. The bottom line is that I use the default kernel and no ramdisk and my setup looks as follows:

Profile:     Profile not Setting
 RamSystem:   Ramsystem not enabled
 Free memory: 779MB of total 968MB

Kernel:   4.19.97-GentooPlayer-ST+
 GentooPlayer   | 10:29 | mer 08/04/2020 
 wlan0       | 192.168.178.32

Players Info:
Squeezelite-R2          [Disabled]
Squeezelite             [Disabled]
Networkaudiod           [Disabled]
LigitechMediaServer     [Disabled]
BubbleUpnp              [Disabled]
HQPlayer Embedded       [Disabled]
Mpd                     [Enabled]
UpMpdCli                [Enabled]
RoonBridge              [Disabled]
RoonServer              [Disabled]
Mpd-Sima                [Disabled]
MYmpd                   [Disabled]
minimserver             [Enabled]
shairport-sync          [Disabled]

*** Scanning for playback devices ***
Card 0, ID `sndallodigione', name `snd_allo_digione'
  Device 0, ID `Allo DigiOne HiFi wm8804-spdif-0', name `Allo DigiOne HiFi wm8804-spdif-0', 1 subdevices (1 available)
    2 channels, sampling rate 32000..192000 Hz
    Sample formats: S16_LE, S24_LE
    Buffer size range from 64 to 131072
    Period size range from 32 to 65536

Subdevice 0, name `subdevice #0'

AUDIO CARDS
CARD    TYPE            ADDRESS            NAME
    card0    Internal Audio card    card0 --> --         Allo DigiOne HiFi
card0    STATUS  --> closed

Filesystem     Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root      ext4       14G  3.3G   11G  25% /
devtmpfs       devtmpfs   10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs          tmpfs      97M  320K   97M   1% /run
cgroup_root    tmpfs      10M     0   10M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
shm            tmpfs     485M     0  485M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1      ext4      916G  476G  394G  55% /media/sd

[  OK  ] Root access verified.

Gentooplayer CPU Info
 Use cpu-governor to change CPU / performance options
 Architecture |     aarch64
 Temp         |     52'c : 125'f  | Running warm, but safe.
 Governor     |     performance

Current Freq    Min Freq   Max Freq
 CPU0         |      1000 MHz      1000 MHz    1000 MHz
 CPU1         |      1000 MHz      1000 MHz    1000 MHz
 CPU2         |      1000 MHz      1000 MHz    1000 MHz
 CPU3         |      1000 MHz      1000 MHz    1000 MHz

[ INFO ] GentooPlayer-CPU_info | CPU current frequency, may be affected by this script, due to the processing required to run it.
 - if the temperature is not displayed, first run the command: sensors-detect --auto

I also do all settings via the web interface, the only exception is a short script

rpi6 ~ # cat poweroffUSB.bash 
#!/bin/bash

EXPECTED_NARGS=0

if [ $# -ne $EXPECTED_NARGS ]
then 
    echo "Usage: `basename $0`"
else
    /opt/minimserver/bin/stopall
    umount /media/sd
    echo '1-1' | tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind
fi
rpi6 ~ # ./poweroffUSB.bash 
Stopping MinimServer process 1955
1-1
rpi6 ~ #

that I use to stop MinimServer and power off the USB bus. This brings the consumption of my RPi3 down from about 0.5A to about 0.25A. If I want to use MinimServer again, I just reboot the system.

17 hours ago, Aberrant-Decoder said:

When I configure my sound card, it shows my usb device, which is my mscaler.  It seems to show bars on the screen with master volume at 40%.  Do i want to change that so its at 100% in order to get a bit perfect signal passed to the sound card ?

Are you replaying via MPD? If so, have you selected "Player Setting > MPD BitPerfect"? What is in this case the value of "mixer_type" in "/etc/mpd.conf"? See also https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/user.html.

I have noticed that "HQPlayer Embedded" cannot be enabled on my system (4.19.97-GentooPlayer-ST+, v2.12 | Raspberry Pi 3B/3B+ (aarch64)): selecting "enable" and the "execute" in "B. Enable/Disable Software" works but systeminfo shows "HQPlayer Embedded       [Disabled]". Is this the expected behavior?

4 hours ago, zackthedog said:

Well, I'm at a loss here.  I've been on GP 2.10 with my Allo USB Sig and everything's been working just fine for months.  Then I thought, I'll upgrade to 2.11.  What a mistake.  Everything went wrong--web gui got wonky, started getting skipping again, phooey.  I reburned the chip with 2.10.  But now I cannot get anything to work the way it was!  Wouldn't play DSD so I tried switching the kernel, then the kernel list disappeared, tried gp-update, then everything disappeared.  It is completely borked!  I cannot get anything work to properly.  Now it won't boot at all!  What on earth am I doing wrong?

I had a similar problem, albeit with wireless connection only. For me it was crucial to restart the router. While my own Raspbian-based system has been upgraded over years and never failed to reconnect after upgrade, I have found GenTooPlayer to be a bit fussy with respect to upgrades. There are some oddities: one should not reboot GenTooPlayer from the command line with `reboot` as this seems not to preserve the wireless settings. Another strange thing is that, after upgrade, the hotspot was enabled. I never enabled the hotspot myself. Since two weeks 2.12 works stably but, to this end, I had to reinstall 2.10, upgrade to 2.12 and then setup my system, not the other way round which is what naturally happens in a legacy system. 

7 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

Yes, it's planned. It is not installed on Rpi.
However, regardless, it is not good to add hqpe at startup. Hqple takes possession of the audio output and doesn't release it until you close it, so putting it on boot the other players won't work.

Interesting, thanks. It would be good to document this fact, perhaps something like 

HQPlayer Embedded (not available, planned): Embedded version of HQPlayer.More Info

instead of

HQPlayer Embedded: Embedded version of HQPlayer.More Info

in the "Enable/Disable Software" menu page? Best, nbpf

12 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

HQPlayer Embedded (not available on rpi )  Embedded version of HQPlayer.More Info

ok? anyway

image.thumb.png.e546123a552c09957e1979ae35aa404c.png

for info, you can install it, but it carries a lot of addictions. and I felt too much for the rpi...

Great, thanks, I had completely missed the `Systeminfo-Software` menu!

24 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

The probelma is not the "reboot", the problem is the script that enables the hotspot.
At reboot, if for some reason there is no valid internert network, start the hotspot and in car you lose the wifi configuration.
So, once you have configured a network, it is convenient to disable the hotspot.

Advanced systems > TWK varius

either simply 

rm /etc/local.d/ireteonline.start

Thanks for the clarifications, the hotspot is now disabled. By the way, there seems to be a glitch in the `Advanced systems > TWK varius` menu: in some settings the values are repeated like in the enclosed picture. Also, in my system, the menu is called `Systems Avanzate`, not `Advanced systems`. 

Screenshot_2020-04-16_08-17-05.png

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

if it is a bug, it repeats the values also in config.txt.
Now it should be fix.

gp-update
set these values as "default", click on excute.
Then re-set the frequencies.
Now you should never repeat them again.

After doing this, the ARM frequency is displayed correctly (1000) but the Core Frequency reading is 400400400400 (instead of 400) and /boot/config.txt has disappeared:

Screenshot_2020-04-17_08-17-28.png

13 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

you didn't set the values to default.
gp-update
set those values to "default"

image.thumb.png.464bb9ddbd71a4ee41904bf1103702eb.png

Clic EXCUTE...

and 

re-set the value and excute
image.thumb.png.ff29e21cd6da1f687090081105b455b4.png

Of course but then, after a reboot ...

Screenshot_2020-04-17_08-45-43.png

... there are even more 400 values in Core Frequency!

• 1 month later...

Since I have updated to 2.13, the date of my system is broken. I can fix it manually but, after a couple of days, it is broken again. Right now (Wed 03 Jun 2020 08:25:38 AM CEST) it is:

rpi6 ~ # date
Sat 30 May 16:43:30 CEST 2020
rpi6 ~ #

Any idea how to fix this problem? Also, this morning the device was not connected to the wireless and I had to switch it off and on again. This never happened before. 

On 6/3/2020 at 10:21 AM, antonellocaroli said:

After a few more tests I am sorry to say that I have switched back to my Raspbian Lite dedicated system. GenTooPlayer 2.13 does not work reliably in my network, either the date is broken or upmpdcli needs to be restarted manually after each reboot or both. Booting is slow and the web interface is sluggish. Perhaps something went wrong when upgrading from 2.12 to 2.13 but then the same problems occurred months ago when I was updating from 2.11 to 2.12. Raspbian Lite boots in a few seconds and is rock solid. After days of inactivity, UpMpd is immediately available and responsive as soon as I open a control point. I will come back to GenTooPlayer in a few weeks/months and then report my findings. Thanks for your support! Best, nbpf  

Upgrading from 2.13 to 2.14 has fixed the date problems and the long booting times, see 

There is still the problem that I need a file with 

rc-service upmpdcli restart

in a file in /etc/local.d for upmpdcli to become visible in my control points. This suggests the there is still something fishy in the boot sequence.

8 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

in a few days I'll put online version 2.15, I suggest you to start directly from that one, with a new installation...

I'll do that, thanks. I have noticed that upgrading from 2.13 to 2.14 was quite slow, is there a way to speed up the process by uninstalling software which is not needed? Also, for maintenance, it would be great to have emacs (emacs-nox, the one without support for X) beside nano. Any idea how to install it? Thanks for the support, Best, nbpf

On 6/12/2020 at 11:01 PM, nbpf said:

Upgrading from 2.13 to 2.14 has fixed the date problems and the long booting times, see 

There is still the problem that I need a file with 

rc-service upmpdcli restart

in a file in /etc/local.d for upmpdcli to become visible in my control points. This suggests the there is still something fishy in the boot sequence.

I have to revise this assessment, after GenTooPlayer has been running over night, the date is 7 hours late!

2 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

when the 2.15 comes out, try it directly with that, but with a new image.

I don't know if other users have the same problem with version 2.14.

OK, is it possible to save my settings in 2.14 and reload them in 2.15?