IGNORED

GentooPlayer

I have been trying to get GP configured to do what I need, but getting stuck. I've had grandkids for a week and no time. Zach has helped a ton, but it's time to get this done. I got a mercury streamer and installed a nvme drive as well which all worked fine in volumio.

In GP, I have roon enabled and I can stream Tidal/Qobuz easy enough. I tried playing from nvme with minimserver/watch, but can't get Watch to open at all. I did all their troubleshooting, Java, jarfix... nothing. It won't open, so I can't configure. So it doesnt show in server. I tried using lumin from my android, but it does not show drive either. I saw the comnent from Antoine about gmedia, but know less about that.

Ultimately, I want the best audio solution to stream tidal/qobuz, and play files local from mercury nvme drive. In not sold on roon, and don't need multiroom/device setup. I just listen at my PC in my office off LAN.

23 minutes ago, PML said:

I stream with Qobuz from a PC with Audirvana and Diretta Target or Audirvana and GMediaRender (On RPI4 with Digione Signature)

Those 2 solutions are very qualitative

I have looked at Audirvana... I can point it to the nvme drive to play that as well?

20 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

As you have seen, then you have various solutions to do what you would like to do....

The simplest:

LMS + Squeezelite (both local files and streaming)
Mpd + Upmpdcli (both local files and streaming)  (client mpd on tablet or phone + mconnect)
Gmediarender + mconnect (streaming)
etc

Yes, many solutions, many ways to skin the cat... But I'm a total noob starting with very little knowledge. I bought the mercury to be plug and play which it is, but I have no problem doing the work to get the best from it... The learning curve is a tad steep. Despite doing all the troubleshooting steps I've already hit two dead-ends with no solution. For right now, streaming a service seems easiest as I am already streaming with roon. I'm really looking to get the nvme drive playing... Even if it takes 2 different solutions to do both... Obviously thru GP.

Hummm... streaming Qobuz & Tidal with Audirvana and playing files with Lumin. I don't know how to find Mercury with Filezilla. Gentoo is user and password... my IP. I have tried :5000 on end of IP with port 22... when I try to connect, it defaults to IP and port 5000. Either way I can't figure out how to connect. Hey, I at least have music playing 😄Woo Hoo. I tried to use parametric EQ... I will have to read the guide more. 

While Lumin is working for now, I would much rather get away from my phone... screen size alone. What controller can I use to play from mercury/on mercury. Or at least is accessed by browser that doesn't bounce files from device to device?

Humm... and now my laptop goes to sleep for no reason even thought it is set to "never". Cool.

8 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

To connect with filezilla, ssh must be enabled on the mercury (system configure adavanced > TWK Varius), then it works like a normal ssh connection, i.e. with the same user and pw (root , gentooplayer)

https://sites.google.com/view/gentooplayer-documentation/fags/transferring-files-two-pcs

For the laptop I don't know, what system do you use?

That's what I was missing. Putty wasn't working either. I'll try with those user/pw tonight.

I use Win 11. It would go to sleep, not crash. Hopefully a reboot will sort it out. I just went to bed last night. The guide did get me sorted out try to setup what I was using and undoing my roon setup. Thanks for the help!!!

8 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

LMS(material skin) + Squeezelite/R2

image.thumb.png.c57147d59a488a501f1f831541f54160.png

image.thumb.png.395d3cc77a2db1bd5fa7afcd49b1cca8.png

image.thumb.png.3222f983fdcaf6cd5971061ed03d405e.png

Thanks, I'll look it up. I think what was stopping other stuff was roon bridge. I disabled and then lumin saw gentoo player.

The whole minim watch thing is weird. The process is running. It will give warning to stop it in windows before an install. It's in task manager... I just can never open it to configure. But now gentooplayer finally shows in bubble up thanks to setting up correctly.

So last night Lumin couldn't see the player again. Couldn't figure it out... Ran thru setup again... Which was all supposedly there... Gmedia render. When I executed that, popped right up. Had to see tonight... Yep, same thing. So, is there a way to keep that latched... Or permanent?

7 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

I didn't quite understand the question...
When you restart the system Gmediarender does not appear at the checkpoints?

When I restart the system, GP does not appear in Bubble up, so it isn't shown in Lumin. I have to execute gmedia configuration again for it to show... Soundcard/hw/auto/room. It pops up in bubble up and Lumin right after.

Here you go. It shows, but will not show in Bubbleup, so then it does not show in Lumin. As soon as I execute GmediaRenderer, it pops right up in Bubble up and then Lumin

Profile: Profile not Setting
RamSystem: Ramsystem not enabled
Free memory: 3491MB of total 3843MB

Kernel: 5.15.36-GentooPlayer-ST+
───────────────────────────────────────
GentooPlayer | 19:41 | Sun 17/07/22
v6.80-97 | Raspberry Pi 4B+ (aarch64)
eth0 | 10.0.0.135

Players/soft. Info:
Squeezelite-R2 [Disabled]
Squeezelite [Disabled]
Networkaudiod [Disabled]
LogitechMediaServer [Disabled]
BubbleUpnp [Enabled]
HQPlayer Embedded [Disabled]
Mpd [Enabled]
UpMpdCli [Disabled]
RoonBridge [Disabled]
RoonServer [Disabled]
myMPD [Disabled]
minimserver [Enabled]
shairport-sync [Disabled]
spotify-connect [Disabled]
web-interface [Enabled]
Samba [Disabled]
gmediarender [Enabled]
camillagui [Disabled]
aplayer [Disabled]
aprenderer [Disabled]

GP-Service Info:
gpchronystop [Enabled]
gphavagedstop [Enabled]
gpireteonline [Enabled]
gpkernel1 [Enabled]
gprtclock [Enabled]
gpsetrestart [Enabled]

Started Service:
sshd
bubbleupnp
dhcpcd
netmount
gmediarender
mpd
local

Stopped Service:
chronyd
gpkernel1
gprtclock
gphavagedstop
gpireteonline
gpchronystop
gpsetrestart

Crashed Service:

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Boot Options:
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=8b025748-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait

*** Scanning for playback devices ***
Card 0, ID `sndrpihifiberry', name `snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi'
Device 0, ID `HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro HiFi wm8804-spdif-0', name `HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro HiFi wm8804-spdif-0', 1 subdevices (1 available)
2 channels, sampling rate 32000..192000 Hz
Sample formats: S16_LE, S24_LE
Buffer size range from 64 to 131072
Period size range from 32 to 65536

Subdevice 0, name `subdevice #0'

AUDIO CARDS INFO:
CARD TYPE ADDRESS NAME
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
card0 Internal Audio card card0 --> -- HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro
card0 STATUS --> closed

So if we got to 7.0, do we use the same key we have?

Any ideas on playing DSD? I am using my files on the nvme playing with Lumin. When I played with Volumio it played, but converted to PCM. (Didn't show as DSD on my Pontus) Playing on Lumin, it doesn't play, and freezes up Lumin. I have to close it, execute gmedia again to get going again. I only have a couple DSD albums to try, it is not that big of a deal, but would like to give it a listen.

• 1 month later...

So right now, I am using Lumin to play from my nvme in Mercury. It works of course... But what a horrible app. Can't believe a music player app can have such terrible functionality.

I am running Audirvana to stream. Had the issue with running tidal, but that seems to be fixed now. Had to reinstall it all. It seems OK I suppose. I switched to asio, no idea if wasapi is better.

I haven't upgraded to new GP yet. How else can I optimize what I am doing? I don't know if I can get Audirvana to play from my nvme instead of PC HDD. What else can I use. And I haven't looked into loading to ram... Don't know if that is worth it. Suggestions?

5 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

image.png.0d8ac129f25f263810a5ca809f7dafb4.png

And here you have everything in one, local files and online services, there is even an LMS plugin to integrate the local library with streaming services...

In short, there are many solutions...

So what is the one you are showing. I do have BubbleUp, minim server. Volumio can do everything, but I'm still wanting to keep at it with GP and get the most out of it. I'm willing to update, just haven't tackled that just yet.

5 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

I don`t understand this one, the NVme is on the Mercury, why would audirvana see it on another pc? to do this you would have to activate a samba share so that the disk is visible on the network....but what would be the point?

No right, I don't want stuff bouncing around my network. Lumin at least plays my files direct. Adirvana streams just fine... All from stuff you recommended. Just wanting to find what's right. I want to get to a solution and be done. It doesn't have to be a PC app. I was using roon too. I'm good with not... But if I can stream tidal/qobuz and play local files on mercury with one solution, I'm willing to try. I just want best SQ which GP can do.

5 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Could you elaborate your feelings about the Lumïn app? 
I’m using it since a couple of years and I do find that it is the best app compared to Linn, Kazoo, MConnect Player.

Maybe you are not using Minimserver with which Lumïn app do give its best … one feature I like more is the cross reference starting from Artists, Work, Composer, Genre, Conductor in the track details … while listening to a track you can find with just a tap all the albums related to the Artist or Conductor or Composer or different recordings of the same Composer’s Work … it’s just a matter of configure Minimserver ( … but your tracks must be fully tagged … not a job for lazy people .. 😉)

First, I don't like phone app. It's nice if you can do it from phone, but this is my desk system so I have PC to use besides 3x6 screen.

The sort buttons are certainly nice basically moving between different sorts. However, the actual playing of music... Not enough functionality on top banner. Not even a replay/rewind. Had it a couple weeks before I figured out there were other screens. When I do go looking in albums, everything loads to play list, so I have to purge because it is full... Don't know how to stop that. I'm just looking and playing, don't need a list or a que. I do like I can go to qobuz, but again, the rest of functionality... Or lack of.

It's just really funky compared to everything else... I even ran roon from phone it's perfectly normal. Now, my stuff does sound good, which is the point, but as a phone app it is a bit lacking.

• 3 weeks later...

Again... Lumin is the most frustrating app ever. Can't figure out how to play qobuz. Login. All my playlists are there. Hit a track/playlist/album... nothing will play... from playlist, from controls, nothing. Plays my files fine, desktop has no problem with qobuz, I stream from phone most days... Why? How? WTF?

Minimserver, bubleup, android. I mainly use Lumin for files on mercury. But of course you can stream tidal and qobuz. Qobuz comes up just fine. I hit a song, I get the controls... but no amount of secret magic presses or voodoo and chicken bones will it actually play. Can listen to files just fine. Can listen to qobuz with audirvana on desktop... which plays to Mercury... but Lumin, will not actually play anything on qobuz, no way, no how.

1 hour ago, Patatorz said:

With MPD/Umpdcli/bubbleupnpserver on GP and lumin on iOS no issues. If android specific issues I’m afraid I can not help. Hope you are going to solve the issue.

Thank you, me too. Because I am ditching the desktop and setting up a real 2 ch downstairs. I can take my laptop to stream, but the phone would be super easy. I do listen a lot to my files and pick one and play is pretty darn simple.