IGNORED

GentooPlayer

On 5/11/2023 at 9:08 AM, jeep972 said:

Do you think you will be able to offer in the next few days or weeks an update on pi 3b+ support based on the latest linux kernel 6.1.21 ?

22 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

for sure, but not in the next few days, weeks for sure...

18 hours ago, jeep972 said:

great, because this kernel is much better

That's what everyone says. But @antonellocaroli, please also add kernel 6.x.x support for RPi 4. 

I run GentooPlayer on Pi2Design Mercury streamer which is based on RPi Compute 4 Module.  

With a great power supply, selected I2S cable, and GTP loaned into RAM I get the best Ethernet>I2S audio I've ever had.  Would love to be able to run the newer kernel.

Thanks very much!

2 hours ago, lithiumnk said:

Are you using B Side of ER to mercury streamer?

Im using GentooPlayer embedded server ( diretta host ) & rpi4 based endpoint ( diretta target ). Both are connected via direct Ethernet connection(no ER/ router in between ). Another Ethernet port is used to access internet on the server. What is the best way to use ER in the chain . 
Thanks 

Yes, I use the active-differential-isolated 'B' port of the the EtherREGEN as the final connection to my Mercury (V1) streamer.

We always advise that best use of the EtherREGEN is connect whatever is your DAC-attached computer/streamer/render endpoint (or Ethernet-input-equipped DAC) ALONE on one side the EtherREGEN's A>B "moat" (typically the 'B' side though there are a few use-cases for "turning it around).

23 hours ago, congofather said:

image.png.1a0848a75d103c66a6f3fc0a339ba080.png

As @PML said, we've been using it for a long time on Mercury streamer.. There are also some kernels which are ""extra" that can be used.  But unfortunately, you have to pay 39€/year for it.

Interesting!  It has been a little while since I tried upgrading my kernel and GTP.  Will give it a go after my vacation.

Thanks very much!

--Alex C.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear @antonellocaroli:

I finally got around to updating GentooPlayer on my Pi2Desgn Mercury streamer (based on RPi Compute4 module). Had been running GTP 8.0-128 and one of the 5.15.79 RT kernels. Updated that to 8.0-155 and then was able to load a 6.1.1 kernel. Very nice SQ change. :D

Can you tell me why when I update it remains at v8.00 and does not move to v8.1?  Do I have to download from your website an 8.1 image and do a complete new installation on microSD card?

Thanks very much,

--Alex C.

14 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

The script update (gp-update) and kernel update (Update/Install/Remove>UP/DW kernel) are independent of the system update (Update/Install/Remove>GP-Version Update).
Did you use this function to upgrade to version 8.10? If you used this function and in the end it does not change your version, something went wrong during the upgrade.

Update/Install/Remove>GP-Version Update shows only that current version is 8.00 and the Update Version dropdown shows only "no updates."  

Below is screenshot--showing response when I hit Execute even though no update is offered.

Please let me know procedure to get to 8.1.

Thanks,

-Alex C.

image.thumb.jpeg.f252e8379ff5ffa2dcc05e180ea10033.jpeg

7 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

Yes, I had actually removed the script, because I was preparing the update to version 8.20, however if from the gp-update it should work, I put it back...

Thanks VERY much!  All up to date with 8.10 now.

Can you tell us what improvements you have planned for 8.2--and when you might be releasing it?

Also, can you or anyone else comment on if I could expect some SQ improvement with a CLTO kernel on my Mercury (RPi Compute4)?

If so, what is the procedure and price to pay for upgrade to CLTO kernel access?

3 hours ago, WuBai said:

Superdad, I can't speak directly for your system because of all the variables involved, but I've tried all of the kernels and have found that 5.15.55-220830-RT and 5.15.79-CLTO-221221-RT are my two favorites, with the latter offering just a bit more clarity at the expensive of being a little more 'forward.'  I have a strong sensitivity to any digital type sound and I've found almost all of the newer kernels give me that to some degree.  The only one CLTO that works for me on the RPI4 is the one mentioned above.  Would I say it is totally worth the price?  For the RPI4 probably not unless we can get a 1-week trial period on the kernels to check for ourselves.  However, on my RPI3 I use the latest compatible CLTO kernel and I find that to work very well on that platform.  Hope this helps!

Thanks very much for that!  And @antonellocaroli has offered me a one week trial of CLTO kernels--which I will take him up on when I have time.

However, is there a reason you have for not using a 6.1.1 CLTO-RT kernel?  

I certainly liked whet I heard when I went from a 5.15.xx-GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-EUPRCU-rt5 to the 6.1.1-GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-EUPRCU-rt5.

(Again, with Pi2Design Mercury (RPi4 Compute based, powered by forthcoming UpTone JS-4, used as Roon Bridge endpoint for Ethernet>I2S into original Holo Spring Level 3.)

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2023 at 10:31 AM, clipper said:

I have only tried it so far with a decent 9V linear power supply.  Like I said, it sounds great.  I'm planning to try it with a better supply in a few days, and I'll try to report back about any differences.

I have a pair of these boxes (sorry they did nothing for me). If anyone wants them, $100 plus shipping. SFP transceivers not included. Choose your own to add. PM me if interested.

IMG_5962Medium.jpeg.8a5bc1302d92775665eb7eead22df7fa.jpegIMG_5963Medium.jpeg.587998625c215d402ee1feb62fc39008.jpeg

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, PML said:

And I preferred Audirvana-UPnP>UPmpdcli/mpd on RPI4 (Host) -Diretta with direct connexion> Target on Holo Red.

Some advice please: 

I am interested in moving from Roon to Audirvana.  My endpoint is the RPi4 Compute Module-based Mercury Ethernet>I2S streamer running GentooPlayer. My GentooPlay is tuned/tweaked, running in RAM, and every app/driver other than RoonBridge is presently uninstalled.

So my question is:

Aside from UPmpdcli and MPD, do I need to reinstall ANY other packages in order to utilize my Mercury as endpoint for Audirvana? (which I will be running on my desktop M1 MacBook Pro). Is mympd needed? How about librespot-bin or mpc?  

Thanks very much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, aqs_ said:

I have a question about the network switch, do you know any switch that is better than EtherRegen? I sold my ER and now the music is of very poor quality if I compare it to a CD transport

That's kind of an odd question for this thread on GentooPlayer OS software.

But I'm a GentooPlayer user myself (in fact I've been behind but am updating to latest version today), with it operating on a Pi2Design Mercury streamer for Ethernet>I2S, itself on the 'B' port of an EtherREGEN. This combination results in the best SQ I've ever had in my system.

The obvious full disclosure here is that yes, I own UpTone Audio and thus am biased towards our special switch. :D

How come you sold your EtherREGEN? Seems you regret doing so. We are presently in stock--so you could get another...  As consolation for your selling regret, you could write to me and I'll give you a modest discount on a used, perfectly functioning unit.

Cheers,

--Alex C.